Chapter 5- My Little Sapling

Liam tugged on his hood as he walked to school, his eyes trained on the ground. His hand drifted to his cheek every once in a while, where a bruise had formed. He saw Zayn’s shoes and stopped as a hand rested on his arm. “You alright Li?” Liam nodded silently, pulling his hood down farther. “I’m fine,” He replied, keeping his eyes on the floor.

“Liam what are you hiding from me?” Liam turned away, shrugging off Zayn’s arm. “Nothing, I’m fine,” He snapped, walking forward.

“Liam!” He felt a hand tighten around his arm and jerk him back. He let out a grunt as he was pulled next to Zayn. “I said I’m fine!” He yelled, pulling on his hood. “Liam, please,” Zayn whispered, pulling Liam close to him. Liam’s hands slowly let go of his hood and drifted to his side, looking up at Zayn, his hood falling off his head.

“Oh god Liam,” Zayn whispered, his hand running over Liam’s cheek. Liam flinched and turned away, letting out a uneven breath. “God Liam did he do this to you?”

“Y-yeah,” Liam mumbled, pulling his hood back up. “I-it’s nothing,” He looked at Zayn for a second before grabbing Zayn’s pinkie. “We should go,” He mumbled, pulling Zayn along silently.

Zayn followed him without a word, his eyes flickering over the brunette. They walked into class, Liam hunching over in his seat.

“Liam, please pull down your hood, you’re inside now.”

Liam looked up, blinking slowly. “Yes Mr. Tomlinson,” he replied softly, his voice barely above a whisper. He pulled off his hood, his eyes falling back to his desk. He felt the whole class look at him, and hid his face in his hands.

“Class please turn to page 456 in your Math textbooks,” Mr. Tomlinson said sternly. Liam shrunk in his seat, opening up his textbook and notebook. He felt Zayn’s pinkie intertwine with his and smiled, looking up at his boyfriend. Zayn smiled back. “Pay attention you idiot,” He teased, his eyes twinkling. Liam rolled his eyes, doodling in the corner of his math book, jotting down notes every once in a while. The bell rang in a short while and Liam packed his bag.

“Liam, stay back for a second.” Liam let out a sigh, walking up to the teacher’s desk. He pushed Zayn gently out the door. “I’ll meet you later.”

“Liam, did you get in a fight with someone at school?” Mr. Tomlinson asked, standing up.

“uh, no Mr. Tomlinson,” Liam said quietly, his hand drifting up to his blackened eye. “I just… ran into a pole that’s all.” Mr. Tomlinson frowned, nodding slowly. “Alright. But if anyone here at school is giving you any trouble, tell me alright?” Liam nodded, readjusting his backpack. “Alright. Have a good day Mr. Tomlinson,” He said quickly, hurrying out the door. He met Zayn outside the cafeteria.

“Hey Liam! What happened to your eye? Didya fall when you came out of the closet?” Some guy Liam barely knew yelled.

Liam frowned, taking Zayn’s hand. “Let’s eat outside,” He mumbled, pulling him through the double doors. They sat under a nearby tree in silence. Liam leaned against Zayn, munching on his sandwich.

“Does it hurt much?”

Liam looked up, blinking. “What?”

“Your eye. Does it hurt much?”

Liam shook his head. “Nah, not really. Just feels kinda…you know like….sore.” Zayn trailed his fingers across the bruise, frowning. “I’m sorry. This is all my fault,’ He whispered, letting out a sigh.

“No it’s not Zee,” Liam retorted, giving him a small smile. “You can’t help who you love. I’m fine with taking on any consequences, as long as I’m with you.”

Zayn smiled, pulling Liam into a side hug. “You sap,” He said affectionately. The bell rang and Zayn stood up, pulling Liam up with him. “But I’m your sap,” Liam said quietly, holding back a grin.

“You are. You are my little sap…ling. My little tree sapling.”

Liam laughed. “That makes no sense,” He said, walking towards the school. “You make no sense.”