Day #0

The Start

   The warm fire crackled in the the fireplace, casting shadows and warmth to the room. The wallpaper was a dark red and had golden snowflakes across it. A single armchair sat in front of the fire and a figure stared into the flickering flames. "It's been 12 years," he said. "12 years since I last hosted a Christmas party." Happy memories flowed though his mind and the man sighed.
  He looked up at the portrait of his wife. "What should I do, Rachel?" He asked. "Our family has abandoned me in this old house, no one comes to visit, and I'm too weak to plan a party."
    The portraits smiled down at him and he sighed again, standing. "Well, I'm off to bed." He hobbled out, using a cane to walk. The fire remained alight for a moment before a cold wind blew it out. The curtains swayed and the portrait creaked. Suddenly a woman appeared in the room, wearing a old-fashioned ball gown. Her hair was blond, her eyes brown. She looked up at the portrait and snapped her fingers. The fire was relighted and she took the seat. "Well, if Johnny isn't going to host another party, I'll just take matters into my own hands," She said, lacing her fingers together.  "The question is, who are my 12?"