Day #3

Three French hens.

    James Tree sat in his office, contemplating his job. A mayor of Noel, he had to be ready for the Christmas Pageant,  but at the moment he had three weeks to prepare and no one to help. Riffling though the papers on his desk, James noticed a newspaper and flicked it open. Beginning Tree Lot was getting a second shipment of fur trees and the Hot Chocolate Inn had a new manager.
      Standing, James grabbed his coat and walked out of the office and to the hospital. His son was working at the desktop, but called for his assistant to take his place. Walking outside, Richard looked at his dad. "What's on your mind Dad?"
James sighed. "I'm not sure how to put this years pageant on." He said, sitting down on the stone wall. Richard joined him. "So, it's just how or is it who?" He asked, grinning.
James smiled. "You know me too well," he sighed. "It's everything."
Richard placed a hand on his dads shoulder. "Everything's coming together for you dad. You've got this."
James watched Richard walk back into the hospital and turned down Main Street. The trees looked amazing but the real smell came from Beginning Tree Lot. Stepping in, James looked around in surprise. Trees were wrapped and being loaded out as fast as they came in. Samuel stood behind the counter, giving directions to some of his workers. "The 4 ft fur tree goes to 23 Gingerbread Way.....The 3 Pencil trees go to the homeless shelter.....and the snow fur goes to CandyCane Drive," Samuel said, pointing to three different streets on a map. "Remember. These are secret deliveries. They never came from Beginning Tree Lot."
The three drivers nodded and left, and Samuel looked up to James. "Did you need a tree Mayor?" He asked.
"No," Samuel said, quickly. "But I might need your help with something. I don't have any ideas for the Christmas Pageant this year."
Samuel leaned on the counter. "I have someone you might want to meet. Can you spare a few hours?"
James nodded. "Yes."
"Follow me." Samuel beckoned for James to fallow him to a truck, where a tree was waiting. James was confused. "Isn't this a delivery?"
"Yes. And it's to the person I'm taking you to." Samuel said, staring the engine.
The drive was quite but James was surprised to see Day Lane appear. "Are you sure?" He asked.
Samuel pulled into 12 Day Lane and stopped the truck. "Yes." He said.
The door opened up. "Your almost late, Samuel." He said, jokingly.
Samuel hugged him. "Hello John.  I have someone who has a few questions for a Christmas Pageant."
James climbed out and extended a hand. "James Tree, Mayor of Noel."
"John Winnter," John said, shaking his hand. "Come inside. Samuel, you know were to put the tree."
Samuel nodded. "Yes sir."
James fallowed John into the house, where he ducked as two birds flew overhead. "Turtle. Dove," John said. "This is a guest. Go play with Pear."
"Turtle Doves?" James asked, sitting down.
"A gift from a girl named Holly Ivy," John said. "So. What do you need? Props? Costumes?"
"Those would be great," James said. "But what I really need is an idea to get this town into the Christmas spirit. Something different from every other year."
John placed a finger beside his nose. "Wait here." He stood up and walked out. James looked around. The curtains were open and sunlight spilled across a pear tree.
A pear tree and two turtle doves? Was someone playing a prank a this man? Suddenly a partridge flew down and landed on his shoulder. John laughed, walking back in. "Pear."
"Pear?" James asked. "Dose he live in the pear tree?"
"Yes," John said, sitting down. "This is my favourite book. And it would make an excellent pageant." He handed James a blue bound book. James took the book and Pear flew to Samuel's shoulder. "Hello Pear," he said. "Hey James. We'd better get back. It's almost been an hour."
James looked up. The grandfather clock read 1:50. "Let's get going then. Thank you John." James said, standing.
John shook his hand. "You'd better do that pageant well. It's my wife's favourite story." He said.

James asked Samuel to drop him off at the office where he opened the book and turned to the bookmarked page.
He read until his son called. "Dad. We have a problem. Did you order three hens?"
"No," James replied. "Were they addressed to me?"
"Directly to the office," Richard said. "Do you want me to send them back?"
"Take them to my house," James said. "I've got a good idea."

**************************
   Rachel nodded. This was a man she liked. John was trusting him with her book, for a pageant. She would be sure to invite him.