Chapter 11 - Shakers

Scarlett

There's a place everyone at my school goes to to hangout and eat. It's called Shakers. To put it into words, Shakers is basically a diner with big red booths, great food and of course milkshakes, and good music. The diner kind of looked like the one from the show 'Riverdale'. Ian and I usually go to Shakers just for the crazy shakes they sell.

"Vanilla milkshake, please," Ian recited to the waitress.

"Birthday cake for me, please," I told the waitress after Ian ordered.

She nodded as she wrote down her notes on her tiny notepad. "Is that all?"

Ian and I nodded politely.

"Great. It will come out shortly."

When she turned to walk away, I gave a monotonous look. "Really, vanilla? How boring are you?"

He put his arms on the table and tilted his head. "Oh really, I'm boring?"

"Your taste definetly is."

He playfully slapped my hand. "Shut up! At least I didn't get birthday cake. That shouldn't even be considered a milkshake flavor!"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever you-''

My eyes darted to the entrance door. Three boys walked in.

"Oh my god, you got to be kidding me," I sighed in annoyance as I watched James walk into the diner.

Ian turned around.

I noticed that James had changed his clothes since I saw him last at school. Now, he was wearing a skater outfit. The black beanie he wore hid any sign of hair he had. His hands were shoved into his dickies pants pockets. His black dickies were rolled up a little bit, and I could see his medium-high white socks that matched his black vans. To top it all off, he was wearing a Thrasher hoodie.

Personally, I've always been a fan of skater outfits. Most guys at my school, including Ian, dress like this. And even though I hate James, I'll admit he can pull off this type of style better than most kids at school.

I shifted in my seat nervously. "Does he have a tracker on me? Why does he show up every where I am? Maybe he's a spy sent by the government to keep track of my every move."

Ian didn't say a word. Instead, he just watched James and his friends walk over to a booth four tables behind us.

James didn't notice us yet, but he soon would since in his booth he was sitting facing towards me and his friends were on the other side, their backs towards me.

"Ian," I whispered, "turn back around!"

Following my order, he turned back around to face me.

"It's probably a coincidence, Scar. Everyone comes here to hangout and eat," Ian reassured me.

Without realizing what I was doing, I leaned over to the left, peering over Ian so I could have a good view of James. He was looking at the menu, concentrating on what he should order.

All of a sudden James looked up, his eyes locking with mine.

My stomach whirled and instantly I looked away, hiding behind Ian's figure so James could no longer see me.

Focus, Scarlett! Pretend he isn't there.

"So, what are you going to order to eat?" I asked Ian.

Ian didn't respond right away. Instead he just watched me, analyzing my every movement.

"Hello? Are you brain dead? Can you not answer?" I chuckled.