A WHOLE NEW KIND OF PERSPECTIVE

"Och, Sasha, zamierzam—" I bucked. "Sasha!" Genesis whipped me, everyone watching. The man, supposedly called 'Knox Kingsley', came over and grabbed my reins. "Easy, girl." He stroked me as I snorted, shaking the mud off. Genesis was still angry over my loss to City of Light, but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was leave, and rest. "Sasha..." Their words faded out as the world became blurry and I was dizzy. The only thing I felt was a soft stroke on my muzzle before I fell and just before the world went black, I heard a murderous scream and a CRACK!

I never expected that I killed my jockey. The one that tended me when I was successful, the one who loved me when I won, the one who trusted me in the 'easy' races. I had killed Genesis. Yes, I killed her. It was painful to watch her be taken away and never be seen or heard of again. The crowd suggested they put me down, right on the racetrack. And I didn't want my last visions to be of a racetrack. Someone said to take me to the slaughterhouse. Everyone cheered. "She's a man-killer!" They yelled over knee-slapping and clapping. "Man-killer! Man-killer!" They chanted. So, that week, I was trailered to the slaughterhouse. But the sights I saw there were unforgettable.