Conceived

"So...your accent, Liv. Why'd you change it?", Fin asked.

"Well, after the agents told me my new identity and where I would be staying, I asked them if I could do an accent, seeing as it fitted my description. They agreed. I mean, at first my accent was...eh, but the longer I stayed, the more convincing it got. And today you can hear the result. Like they say, things get better with time.", Liv explained.

"And...uh, the...uh...", Fin started.

"Use your words, Fin.", Liv smiled.

"The thing about you being the product of rape, was it also part of your new identity?", he finally asked.

"Uh...no. That's the whole truth, Fin. Actually, a rich snob from New York, who often came to Cuba on business, raped my mother. He always stayed at the hotel where she was working at the time. He was one of those men who thought women would fall at their feet, but not my Mamá. She blew him off and he didn't like that, so he raped her and left Cuba the day after.", a tear rolled down her cheek.

"She reported the rape to her manager and they made it out like she wanted it. All they thought of was the hotel's reputation. So my mother never reported it to the police either, seeing as he already left the country."

"I'm sorry, Liv.", Fin said, putting a supportive hand on her shoulder.

"She told me all of this when I was just 13 years old. I grew up thinking that Papa Emilio was my father, which he was in every sense of the word. He raised me like one of his own. My mother married him when I was just two years old. He died when I was sixteen.", Liv said, tearing up.  She quickly wiped the rebellious tears.

"So my identity is half true, I am half New Yorker after all. Mamá told me I looked a lot like him. More reason why this identity fitted me so good. And I'm happy with my life now."

"I would've never thought you were cuban once.", Fin smiled. "But I know that deep down that Señorita is waiting to come out.", Fin said, making them both laugh.

"You know, coming here gave me the opportunity to find the bastard who raped my mother.", Liv said. "Though it was sad to leave my life in Cuba behind, my son behind, I got to know the brother I never had. I got closure knowing that bastard is dead."

"Yes you did, Liv. You did."