2

Eventually it was the end of the school day and Deceit came to the school to pick up his son and bring him home for the weekend.

Virgil was visually excited to see his father. He stood up from the table and ran over to him, embracing his legs in a big hug.

Deceit chuckled and patted his head. He reached over and grabbed Virgil's backpack. Both of them waived goodbye to Ms. Brown and left the classroom.

"Did you have a good day at school?" Deceit asked as they walked down the hallway towards the double doors.

"Yep!" Virgil perked. "But Ms. Brown says I need to take a shower-" he said.

"Oh, she did?" Deceit frowned. "We'll take care of that later tonight.. do you have any homework for the weekend?"

Virgil nodded, "Yeah, we have a spelling worksheet but it's not due 'till next Friday" he said.

"Okay, we'll work on that too" Deceit told him.

Virgil smiled and let go of his father's hand to skip down the hall.

A warm feeling flowed through Deceit as he watched Virgil skip around the hallway, excitedly pointing to the artwork on the wall done by the older kids. There were some very talented young artists at the school. Several fourth graders' artwork was pinned up to the walls to display to the school.

Virgil asked to play a board game when they got home. He picked out Clue, one of his favourites.

Virgil was very good at it. Deceit had showed him how to play a few years ago. Virgil was a year before kindergarten when he learned.

Deceit told him that he should be a detective when he grew up as he was so good at finding the killer.

Deceit put away Virgil's backpack in the kitchen closet as Virgil set up the board on the coffee table in the living room.

Virgil always played as Professor Plum and his dad always chose Colonel Mustard. So Virgil got out the purple and yellow game pieces and placed them on their respective squares. He put the rest of the 'people' on the middle of the board, on the stairs, with the weapons.

Virgil's favourite of the weapons was the knife, he liked how cool it looked.

"Is it set up yet?" Deceit said as he came into the living room to Virgil picking up the cards.

"Almost," he said, "I just have to shuffle the cards" Virgil held the small deck up and began to shuffle them.

The cards slipped out of his small hands and a few fell onto the floor.

Deceit smiled slightly, "need some help?" He asked.

"Yeah," Virgil replied. He picked up the cards from the floor and handed the deck to his father. "I'm not very good at shuttling" he said, stumbling over the letters in 'shuffling.'

"Shuffling" Deceit corrected, taking the deck and mixing up the three different decks separately.

"Yeah, that"

Deceit offered each stack to Virgil so he could pick out the super secret cards. He picked one from the stack of people. One from the stack of rooms, and one from the stack of weapons.

Then, without looking, he took the three cards and stuffed them in a small envelope labeled, Top Secret.

Next, Virgil put the envelope into the game box and closed the lid, and he put a finger to his lips and made a quiet "shhh" sound.

Deceit nodded and mimicked Virgil, placing his pointer finger over his lips.

The game began with Virgil rolling the dice after the rest of the cards had been mixed up and handed out equally.

Within ten minutes, Virgil had scribbled all over his notebook paper as he tried to figure out who killed the person, in what room, and with what weapon.

He had it narrowed down to Colonel Mustard, with the rope and either the Study or Billiard Room.

Deceit's paper was marked up as well. He was past the point of 'letting Virgil win.' He hadn't won a single game of Clue since Virgil was five. He learned that Virgil was not a sore loser and therefore could take a loss. He wasn't too sore of a winner either, though he did get excited and that was normal.

Deceit had it narrowed down to two people, two weapons, and three rooms. He wasn't sure how far Virgil was but he was almost certain he was closer than him.

A few short turns later Virgil announced, "I'd like to make an accusation!"

"Already?!" Deceit said, pretending to be very surprised.

"Yep!" He said, "I think it was Colonel Mustard" he pointed to the yellow marker, "with the rope" he picked up the little rope game piece, "in the Billiard Room!"

Deceit nodded, "if that's what you think, go ahead and check.." he gestured to the game box that held the answers.

Virgil smirked and slowly opened the box and picked up the envelope, opening it slowly as well for dramatic effect.

He looked at each of the cards and then dropped them all face-up on the table.

There they lay, the rope, Colonel Mustard, and the Billiard Room.

"Impossible!" Deceit remarked.

Virgil giggled.

"Great job!" Deceit said, giving Virgil a high-five. "I don't know how you do it!"

"It's a gift!" Virgil said, holding his hand to his heart and giggling again.