Sweet Strawberry

"It worked!" Tam whooped. Sophie's racing thoughts paused to ponder whether Tam had ever whooped before. 

She didn't think so. 

It was as if that first memory had broken the dam clogging up her brain. Sophie could feel memories pricking like minnows at her brain. Feelings washed over her as colorful as the rainbow: fear, joy, anxiety, fear, contentment, nervousness, resentment, fear, fear FEAR. 

Sophie gasped, ducked her head under her arms and squeezed her eyes shut. 

"Sophie, what's wrong?" Tam crouched beside her. She'd forgotten she was still in Linh's room, positioned on an aqua beanbag. 

"I... Tam, we can't let anyone know I'm getting my memories back." 

"What?" 

"I... I just have a feeling that something bad is going to happen if I tell people." 

Tam's concerned eyes searched Sophie's. 

"Do you think it has something to do with the accident?" 

"Maybe? It could be why no one will tell me what happened." 

"Well then, we'll keep this between us. Why don't you stay for a while longer? You're really pale." 

Sophie nodded. She glanced at the glowing clock next to Linh's bed. 

"It's already 6:00 p.m.?" 

Tam furrowed his brow. "Wow, I guess so." He responded, after consulting his own clock on his phone. 

"Don't worry about the time; my parents are out of town, and Lihn is probably hanging out with Wylie or the Academic Asians." 

"Is that some kind of club?" 

"Yeah, they talk about school and other jokes." 

Sophie laughed. "Why aren't you in the club?" 

"They unofficially kicked me out when I revealed that I didn't know what Harry Potter house I'm in." 

"Didn't you say you were a Hufflepuff?" 

"No! I'm a Slytherin! SLYTHERIN!" 

"Says the boy who's spent his spare time with an amnesiac trying to help her find her memories." 

Tam scratched the back of his neck. Sophie smiled triumphantly. 

"This is a good day. I got back my memories, found out you kicked yourself out of an academic club, and figured out you were a Hufflepuff." 

"I did give myself away, didn't I?" 

Sophie held up two fingers an inch apart. "Maybe a tiny bit." 

Tam cleared his throat. "Well, do you want dinner?" 

"Oh, no. My parents will probably be wondering where I am. I should go now." 

Tam shook a finger. "You're not going anywhere after what you just went through." He grabbed her phone off the ground. 

"What are you doing?" Sophie demanded. 

"Just telling your parents where you are. I'll tell them the text is from me. I got this." 

"You don't know my password." Sophie countered, proud to put a damper in Tam's plans. 

A moment later, Tam showed Sophie the screen.

"You figured out my password?" 

"It's Iggy. Not that hard to guess."