CHAPTER -4-

a/n real quick-

For some of you wondering, Alexa is actually happy her mother got shot because her mother has been abusing Alexa and her brother since they were very young. She would refuse to feed them and hit them repeatedly. If you have any more questions, just comment them and I will answer them. Neither Alexa nor Jason loved their mother in a mother-child way. Thank you for reading this!

***
SUNDAY MORNING (August seventh) : 03: 17

As I wait for the officers to start questioning me I scan the emergency waiting area. There are a few people with casts around their arms and legs, people with sickly children and a lot of elderly people too.

The officers approach me and they usher me into an open doctors office. We sit at opposite ends of the table and James takes out a small black book and a shiny pen.

"When did you hear the shot go off, miss?" Max asks, looking over at James.

"I heard it like three minutes before I called nine-one-one. You can surely check the time of the call at the center, " I say, shrugging my shoulders.

James nods as he writes something down in the small black book. "And did you see anyone leave the house? Were there stuff left behind perhaps?"

I shake my head. "No, and no."

Max sighs as he stares at the ceiling's lights.

"Alright, we're done here. Once your mother is stabilized we will ask her more questions. Thank you for your time miss, you can go back to the waiting room and see if you can hear anything about your mother's condition right now, " Max says, smiling at me. He stands up and the chair scrapes as it moves backward.

I nod at them and also get out of the doctor's office. I return back to the waiting area and see some people have gone away, probably to see their doctors.

"Alexa Cooper?" a doctor asks, his voice echoing through the waiting area. I look up and see a tall man, probably in his mid-thirties with scrawny, dark looking hair and he's wearing round glasses.

I go to the doctor and he asks me to join him in his office and I immediately sense something is wrong.

I'm again seated opposite another male, probably to tell me something really important I hope.

"Alexa, I'm really sorry to say this but your mother, unfortunately, did not make it, " he says and places his hands over mine in a comforting way. I immediately pull away.

He is probably expecting me to burst into tears, but I just stare at him.

"Oh, okay, " leaves my mouth.

The doctor doesn't seem pleased with my reaction though as his eyebrows lift. "Arent you perhaps a bit... sad, Alexa?"

"No, I'm fine." I shrug my shoulders. "Hey, can I borrow someone's phone?"

He weirdly looks at me and shakes his head. "Unfortunately no, we will first have to guarantee you have a legal guardian to go home to. Do you have a grandmother, aunt or anyone who you could go stay with? We will have to legalize the paperwork first though."

"Well you see, that's why I wanted to use a phone. My mother made my brother my legal guardian if something, like this, happened to her. I wanted to call him, give him the news and ask if he could come home from his trip, " I say, raising one brow and leaning back into the chair, quite satisfied with my answer.

His mouth forms an "O" shape and he quickly gives me the telephone sitting on his desk, the wire stretching towards me. I mumble a short thanks under my breath and for the second time today, I punch in my brother's number.

"Is this you Alex?" I hear after the third ring.

I smile and roll my eyes, knowing my brother expected the call. "Yeah, it's me. Listen, mom didn't make it. So from now on, you're my legal guardian! You obviously first need to fill in some papers and stuff, but that's fine. When will you be back from your little trip?"

"Alex, we're already on our way back. I kind of knew in the back of my mind she wouldn't make it so I told the boys we must go back to our small hometown. Anyways, should I come to the hospital or...?" he asks.

"Yeah, we're at Barnard's Hospital, it's a few minutes away from our house."

***
SUNDAY MORNING (August seventh) : 04:59 AM

After an hour or so, I see Jason and a few of his friends walk into the waiting area. I smile when I see him and run up to him, engulfing him in an enormous hug. "I missed you, big bro."

Jason smiles down at me, "Yeah whatever, I totally didn't miss you either little sis."

The doctor who previously told me my mother is dead, walks up to us and greets Jason.

"Well, let's get the paperwork started, and we will need to talk to you about stuff concerning your mother, " he sternly says to Jason.

***

A/n

Hi everyone! I'm super bored at my aunt's so I literally write every single day almost. Sorry if there were any errors in this chapter, later this week I'll go back and fix them obviously. Thank you so much for clicking on my story!

PLEASE SHARE, VOTE AND COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS!