Chapter 8

Placebo Girl 8

Hollis's POV

As I wake up the next morning, the aroma of coffee hits my nose and is the only thing that makes me sit up as I recollect where I am and what I'm doing. In the morning light, I feel just as guilty as the night before. I'm not sure what is on the itinerary for today, but as I glance down at my phone, well Mary's, I see that it is only seven a.m. I yawn, reading through the texts Mary has sent me.

Mary: How's it going?

Mary: I am finally all settled into the dorm. I wish you could see this place. This is my dream come true.

I have to roll my eyes at the second text. It keeps me from responding to her altogether. I place the phone back on the nightstand and stretch out my arms. After a few minutes of me dozing and waking up again, I see Luke walk into the room. He's shirtless and when I see him, I will myself to keep eye contact. I need to keep up this whole, "I want to go slow" thing for the next month. Maybe Mary doesn't care, but it feels strange being this close with her boyfriend. Even though she plans to toss him out like trash, there's something in me that feels like this is just a giant stab in the back. It's not fair to Luke either.

"Morning," he says, handing me a coffee, "sleep well?"

I nod, gratefully accepting the coffee and taking several sips. I know it's only in my head, but I swear the caffeine instantly rushes through my body and I feel like I can take on the day, somehow making it through.

I watch Luke fidget with his hands as he watches me. He looks nervous like he did last night and somehow, I know that I'm screwing this up as badly as I possibly could. How Mary ever actually thought I could be her is beyond me. I'm shit at this and Luke is smarter than I ever gave him credit for.

"Come have breakfast with me. I made your favorite," he says.

Oh lord.

When I go into the kitchen, I see bacon and I know I'm not getting out of this. I have been a vegetarian for years. Mary, on the other hand, could eat bacon for all three meals. Me being a vegetarian started with an intolerance. All the sudden, most meat just didn't sit well with me.

"Go ahead," Luke says and smiles as I eye the food.

I pick up one piece of bacon from the platter and spoon some eggs onto my plate. He gives me a strange look so I add another piece of bacon. While Luke is getting his own food, I stuff the two strips of bacon into the front pocket of my sweats. I shovel some eggs into my mouth and start eating rapidly. I know he won't suspect anything because Mary eats as fast as a wild animal. I'm finished with my food by the time he sits down across from me.

Scanning my plate, I see a hint of a smile spread across his face.

"Thank you for the food," I say.

"No problem."

"Well, I'm going to...go get ready. What's on the agenda for today?"

I watch him take a huge bite of his bacon. It doesn't bother me but it makes me think about the crumbled mess in my pants pocket.

"Um...we don't really have anything until five when we're going on the Eye. It's an observation wheel."

"Like a ferris wheel?" I ask.

"Yeah," he says, "Just enclosed and...bigger. I don't know. I thought it would be fun to see Orlando from up there and then go to dinner after. Nothing special."