Chapter 2: Genesis

In the middle of the room directly below the cavern opening curled in a fetal position lay a corpse. The light from the afternoon sun illuminated the body in stark contrast to the darkness around it. Jarek's first reflex was to give it a wide birth and continue on his way, but for some unknown reason, his instincts carried him directly towards the macabre site.

As he drew near the body details began to manifest themselves. It was wrapped in a faded and weather-worn brown robe. The robe was so overgrown by moss to the point it was difficult to tell where it ended, and the garment began. Even though the flesh had long since melted away, the skeleton beneath was clearly alien. Horns curved downward from either side of its head; the tip ending just below its chin. Jarek recognized the species but the name escaped him.

It clutched something to its chest with skeletal hands. Jarek couldn't tell what it was but its metallic surface glinted in the light. The moment the reflected light caught his attention the young boy felt a chill run up his spine and down to his fingertips. A light breeze seemed to whisper in his ear, beckoning him nearer.

He complied.

Jarek slowly crept forward until he was kneeling next to the body. A closer inspection also revealed that both of its legs were broken and not because of the passage of time. Jarek glanced upward at the opening above and the green foliage beyond. It wasn't hard to surmise that, like Jarek, he had lost his way and fallen into the chamber. Unfortunately, unlike Jarek, he didn't have a pool of water to break his fall.

The empty eye sockets seemed to plead with him while also echoing with a lonely sorrow. Whoever this being had been he had died here, alone and in pain. The result of one careless misstep.

In more ways than one Jarek sympathized with him.

As if expecting him, the bones and sinew that had held the skeletal hands in place for so many years finally gave way. The hand fell forward as if freely offering its contents to its long-awaited recipient. The object was a dark blue cube trimmed in silver; it seemed to glow with a faint inner light.

Mesmerized, Jarek reached forward. Ever so gently he removed it from the alien's hand.

<>

He was running! Legs pumping! Heart hammering in his chest! Fear raced through his veins!

There is no emotion...there is only Peace

He was falling! Hand scrabbled for a grip but found none! Down he went into the void!

There is no Ignorance...only Knowledge

Pain coursed through his body! His legs were immobile and yet even breath caused shattered bone to grate against torn muscle!

There is no passion...only serenity

The Holocron! Where was it?! There within reach! He clutched it tight to his breast! Such a little thing but it meant so much! The last vestige of better days.

There is no Chaos...only Harmony

Sorrow mixed with the deepest parts of grief swirled in his soul! The loss of much more than a loved one wracked his heart! The loss of a way of life, as well as a life never lived! Of a love, he never got to share. Of the mother, he never knew.

There is no death...

The pain of his shattered legs was dull now. Fever and chills had replaced them. Hunger and thirst scraped at his throat and stomach for days, but even that was fading. The encroaching night was upon him. The sun passed into shadow one last time.

...there is only the Force...

No more pain...no more sorrow...the end of his path approached...the guiding light of oblivion beckoned him. Invisible hands and wings lifted him up and away. At last...he was at peace...