I AM YOUR FRIEND

“Mom? Dad?”

I’m surprised my parents were in the living room when I arrived. If my memory serves me right, this is the first time. 

“What’s the matter?”

My mom doesn’t look so happy. Is he leaving dad? I can’t say they have a bad relationship. But they always fight about business matters. I wonder what is it about right now.

“Team, you got what you wish for. We’re going to Japan.”

I have never told my parents I wish to go to Japan. I don’t know where they got that.

“What are we going to do there?”

“Well, your father got a new business in Osaka, and guess what?”

I’m not good in guessing. I don’t have common sense either.

“They make anime.”

That got me reminded of my only wish. To be able to make my own manga, my own plot, with my own characters. How wonderful it is to be the mind behind of it all. To finally let my imagination be transformed into an anime series.

“Aren’t you happy?” My mom was smiling as I try to show a slight smile on my face. I am happy, that’s for sure. I’m just not good of showing emotions myself. They were all written on the comic books. Not on my face. Anime is my only life.

Until I heard a now familiar voice.

 “Team!”

What? Why did he follow me?

“He said he was your friend.” My nanny was smiling while telling me this. This is the first time someone came to my house. I was already surprised with my parents’ presence. I can’t believe there are four of us right now in the house.

“Well, well.. what can I say. You finally have a friend son. Congratulations”. My dad seemed like he’s trying to tell me this on a whisper. I doubt no one except me heard that.

Win made a wai to my parents and introduced himself. “Pa, Ma, I’m Win Suppanut, Team’s friend. Nice meeting you.”

I feel like my forehead wrinkled by their own. I don’t know what to think about Win. Is he already my friend just because I know his name? I thought he was smart. Why did he get here looking like a jerk?

“What are you doing here?”

Win reached something from his pocket and held me the manga I was reading this morning.

“I was gonna return this to you but you left too soon. How could you forget something so important?” 

Suddenly, my happy thoughts about going to Japan went blurred. My focus shifted on Win, looking directly on the comic book.

No, there is no way I’m leaving something so important.

Who knows? I can still live in an anime, and this time – the story isn’t limited to my imagination.