How Could You

What is he thinking? Liking someone from the Foot? I don't care how interesting or fun she seems, she's not good news!

"So, did you go to the building last night?", I ask, sensing Leo has arrived.

"I did," he responds me, stepping out of the shadow.

I ask him what did she want from him, anyway.

"Well, she saved my life," he says. It's not what I asked, so I assume she was up to no good.

"Is that so. From what? From the life threatening situation she put you into the first place?"

"It's not like that." He really seems upset. "Come on, April, she could have ended me if she wanted to, but she didn't. I'm just asking you to give her a chance. For me."

Well, that's cheap. But I have no other choice but to agree.

"Alright," I say. "You are a big boy and can make your own judgments."

"Thanks," he says relieved. "I knew I could count on you."

After that upsetting conversation, I decide I deserve a treat, so I go buy some candy. It's kinda late, but I realize that when I'm already out, so there's no point giving up now.

As I walk, I feel someone is following me. Could it be one of the guys? No, it doesn't feel like them. I see a shadow of someone right behind me, so I prepare to attack. I turn around and there's a girl standing on a first floor balcony. I know it's her. Who else would it be. She's in a ninja suit and a ninja stance. I hesitate for a second, cause Leo told me she's his friend, but she's on the Foot, so I can't trust her, but Leo...

"Hi," she interrupts my thoughts. "You must be April."

"And you must be Karai."

"That's right. The one and only."

"Well, guess I can see why Leo is crushing on you," I say to throw her off balance. I guess it worked, cause she seems kinda surprised for a second.

She studies me for a moment, then jumps off the balcony and walks towards me. I don't know her intentions, so I take a defense stance.

"Calm down, princess," she says standing right in front of me. "I'm not gonna hurt you. For now, at least."

"What do you want, then?" I ask. I'm apprehensive for the answer, but I think she's telling the truth, so I let myself relax a little.

"Just to know you," she says. "It must be fun being friends with a bunch of mutants."

"That's what they are to you? Just a bunch of mutants?" I ask a little offended.

"That's not what I meant," she says. "I just don't get it how this came to be. You're just a regular girl."

"As opposed to..."

"I don't know, a martial artist."

"I am too. I can actually take you down if I like."

"In that stance?" she laughs. "Don't see how. Besides, you told Leo you would be nice to me," she keeps on smiling.

Son of a... she was listening to us. Of course. I'm mad, so I don't have time to respond.

"But I really would like to see you try," she says still smiling, my anger pleasing her. "See those pretty hands of yours trying to catch me." Okay, now she's just messing with me. Why did she say that so sexily? Although to be fair, she is sexy. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only way she knows how to talk.