Chapter 9 - Nostro Destino (Our Destiny)

"Lady, we're in trouble

"Lady, we're in trouble." Bear didn't pull any punches.

"Is that why you came here?" Lady asked.

Bear nodded.

"What about your owners?"

"They're stranded out of town, and we were left alone at a kennel. We escaped and figured that if there was a water surge, a boat would be the safest place to be."

Lady's answer was alarming. "I've seen boats smash up against the pier."

"Do you think the boat you sleep on is tough enough to handle the storm?" Tony asked.

"I'm not sure. She's large, and word around the boatyard is that she is extremely seaworthy. But the sea is the last place I'd want to be."

"It won't be a place for royalty like you and me, Princess, unless it's one of those luxury cruises—you know, the ones that don't allow kids or water slides," said Bear.

Mia raised her eyebrows yet again. Lady was confused by the kennel dogs' mixed messages—they alternated between being nervous and cracking jokes. Silence set in, and it made Bear uncomfortable, so she started her circle routine. Once again, it drove Mia crazy.

"Enough, Bear! What's the matter now?" Mia said.

Bear walked over to Lady and said, "This may be a life and death situation. Lady, will you help us?"

Lady realized the seriousness of the situation and saw that the dogs were determined to escape from the storm. She raised her eyes and said,

"Follow me."

* * *

The evening wind blew stronger as the sky turned dark and birds flew for cover. Menacing clouds raced across the moon. Harbor bells sounded.

Lady knew where she was going. "There is just one more slip to cross," she said. "There she is!"

Five heads rose at once. Lucky barked with delight. It was a cabin cruiser. A harbor post light swayed in the wind and lit up the name on the hull of the boat: Nostro Destino.

"What does it mean?" Mia asked.

"Nostro Destino?" said Lady. "It means 'Our Destiny.'"

"Thank you, Lady," said Bear. "We are so fortunate to have met you."

Lady smiled and directed them to follow in her footsteps over the gangplank. Tony pulled the wagon aboard. The dogs gave Lady a big round of thanks.

"Nonsense!" she said. "If not for all of you, I wouldn't have known about the storm. I'm happy we met. Maybe it's our destiny."

"Just like the boat's name!" Princess said. "Destiny ... our Destiny."

* * *

When everyone was safely on board, Bear prepared to make an announcement.

"Uh, what's up, Your Highness?" Mia decided to joke for once.

"Be serious, Mia. This is important." Bear looked around even though she could only see grey images. "Okay, listen up. We are guests aboard this fine boat. It's up to us to take care of it. If you have to do your business, disembark."

Everyone broke into laughter including Bear.

Lady said, "We should stay where the boat owners' dogs play. It has plenty of pillows and blankets. One more thing: they have a small TV near the captain's chair. I learned how to turn it on and off."

"Maybe we can watch reruns of Lassie," said Bear.

"Will you ever stop kidding around, Bear?"

"Mia, the answer is no!"

"And by the way, who is Lassie?" Mia asked.

Everyone paused. Finally, Lucky said, "Mia, Lassie was a famous collie who had a television program, which started over fifty years ago— about the time you were born, ol' girl."

The dogs looked at each other and broke into laughter. Lady smiled. Joking and laughing was new to her.

When they settled down, Bear got serious again. "Let's get back to work," she commanded. "We don't have any more time for joking. We have to set sail."

Princess commanded, "Take us to our staterooms!"

Tony chuckled. One by one, they selected their spots. Bear found a comfortable pillow and asked Tony to bring her a snack. The bulldog went to empty the pull wagon and fulfill her wish. Lucky chose to stay in the cabin. Mia and Lady roamed around the deck, guarding the others and keeping watch for the unexpected.

* * *

It started to rain—the soft kind, just a few drops here and there. When every paw was settled inside the boat, Lady turned on the TV. As soon as the picture came on, she yelled, "Hey! Come and see this!"

"That's me!" Tony barked.

"That's all of us! They caught us escaping," said Princess.

"How did that happen?" Lady asked.

"They must have captured our escape on the security cameras," said Mia. Everyone knew she was right. "Maybe we should leave. They might be able to follow us here. But it might be dangerous ..."

"Now that we're celebrities, everyone will be looking for us," said Bear. "They're sure to find us."

The dogs watched the footage and listened to a young reporter refer to each of them by name. They also learned that the tropical storm had developed into a dangerous hurricane.

Mia said, "If they find us, we will be returned to the kennel. We can't let that happen."

They all started to talk at the same time until Bear called for order. "Friends! Let's talk this out, but one at a time. Please!"

At that moment, a lightening crack lit up the sky. It opened an enormous hole in the clouds, and heavy rain began to pour down.

Bear shuddered. "There is nowhere to go now. We have to sit tight and ride out the storm."

The gang looked at each other and moved in close together. They were worried.

Tony assured Princess that he would take care of her. Princess took a deep breath and fluttered her eyes and curls towards him. The bulldog felt that his life had meaning again. He vowed to protect the royal poodle, no matter what.