eight

[eight]
visionary

ALEX CROSSED HER arms as she glanced at Cora, who was glancing outside the window, beginning to explain Derek and Peter's story

"They were there for two days." Cora started. "Waiting. Hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us. Hide and heal."

"Okay, so, is two days standard, then, or do we think Derek's on some extended getaway." Stiles replied sarcastically.

"Why do you care?" Cora frowned at the boy.

"Why do I care?" Stiles repeated. "Let's see. Over the last few weeks, my two best friends, one of them is standing right here next to me by the way, have tried to kill themselves, one of said best friend's bosses nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by alphas, I- do you want me to keep going, because I can, alright? For like, an hour."

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" Cora replied, ignoring the last part. Alex frowned, however, the girl had a point.

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it." Alex spoke, defending Stiles, her arms still crossed.

"I don't know...there's something different about him." Cora sighed. "He wasn't like this when we knew him."

"What was he like?" Alex frowned.

Peter began to walk down the metal stairs, all attention falling on him. "A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers, unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, and tolerable, really, only to other teenagers."

"So what happened? What changed him?" Alex questioned.

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men." Peter started. "A girl."

"You're telling me some girl broke his little werewolf heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?" Stiles raised his eyebrows.

"Do you remember Derek before he was an alpha? He had blue eyes?" Peter glanced at Cora, then turned to Stiles and Alex again. "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"

Both Stiles and Alex spoke at the same time, giving two different responses.

"Yes."

"I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing..."

"If you wanna know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the colour of his eyes." Peter sighed.

••••

"Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he?" Stiles frowned as he sat down on a chair, Alex sitting on the couch next to Peter, a few centimetres away.

"How old were you? How old are you now?" Stiles narrowed his eyes at Peter.

"Not as young as we could've been, but not as old as you might think." Peter spoke vaguely.