The moronic stranger

Near the end of the group stage of T20 WC 2020 in Australia, India defeated Bangladesh in a thrilling match, with Kuldeep and Bhuvi scoring an unexpected 40 off 4 overs to chase down 190.

When they came back, everyone was in a state of wild excitement, everyone clamoured around to hug the two heroes, and Yuzi and Hardik, already wont to overexcitement were the proudest of their respective best friends.

To his surprise, though, Yuzi saw Kuldeep a bit unenthusiastic to take part in the celebrations.

"Kul?" asked Yuzi anxiously.

Kuldeep shook his head and said, "Just feeling a little tired."

"Oh...ok," said Yuzi, trying to ruffle his hair, but Kuldeep sort of pulled back and disappeared into the crowd, and a worried and slightly hurt Yuzi couldn't find him.

Back at the hotel, when Yuzi entered his and Kuldeep's room (made joint as usual), Kuldeep, who had been sitting on the bed, began, "I was thinking we should stay in different rooms today..."

Yuzi looked so stunned and hurt even before Kuldeep had finished his sentence that Kuldeep hastened to continue.

"I think I might be getting dengue or something, and you haven't had it yet, so stay away from me for a bit."

"How d'you know you might be getting dengue?" asked Yuzi.

"I feel all the symptoms," said Kuldeep.

He did look rather pale and tired.

"Do you have fever?" Heedless of Kuldeep's words, Yuzi went to Kuldeep to feel his forehead, and Kuldeep dodged and bolted towards the door.

"Yuzi," he said indignantly. "You know Jaddu bhai isn't fully fit to play either, what would happen if all three spinners of our team are unwell?"

"We can worry about that later," said Yuzi impatiently, because all he wanted was to take care of Kuldeep at that moment. "Come over here before I'm forced to chase and catch you."

"I'm not going to pass on any disease to you," said Kuldeep fiercely.

And then Yuzi ran at Kuldeep, and Kuldeep tried to escape, and the chase went on for a while in the corridor before Kuldeep bumped into Virat, who caught him.

"What are you two doing at this hour?" demanded Virat.

"Yuzi isn't realising that he might catch dengue or something from me," began Kuldeep heatedly, and then he drew away from Virat bhai, horrified, asking, "Have you had dengue before?"

"I have," said Virat drily, and pulled Kuldeep back into him. "And why do you think you have dengue?" He felt his forehead. "Well, you've certainly got fever."

"But it might not be dengue," said Yuzi.

"No. But there have been quite a few cases of dengue around here, you know," said Virat, beginning to feel worried. "Don't risk staying around him just now, Yuzi."

Yuzi opened his mouth to protest, but Virat cut in. "I'll take him to my room, I'm not leaving him alone!"

"All right," conceded Yuzi sulkily.

"Good night Yuzi," said Kuldeep in a placating tone.

Of course, Yuzi couldn't sulk with Kuldeep for more than five minutes, so he grinned and said, "Good night, Kul."

Half exasperated, half indulgent at their ridiculous bond, Virat dragged Kuldeep away to his room.

_______________