chapter fifteen

She woke the next morning slowly, a tickle of awareness in the back of her mind. She was cocooned in blankets, a warm and deeply asleep Steve at her side.

Waking completely, she opened her eyes, watched him breathe. Tracing her fingers slowly over his cheek, she studied his long lashes and strong jaw, dipping her fingers into his hair and then lingering there.

He'd fallen asleep so quickly last night. She'd watched the exhaustion overtake him rapidly; one moment he was cuddling next to her, heart still pounding wildly, the next he had heaved a sigh as if his very bones were weary and he tumbled into sleep.

She'd watched him as long as she could, her hand on her chest, feeling it rise and fall while his heart beat steadily.

A shudder ran through him, and then blue eyes opened to lock into hers. "Morning," he murmured.

"Good morning." She moved forward to kiss him, his beard tickling her cheek.

"What do you have going on today?" He asked her, nuzzling his face into her palm.

"More meetings." And for the first time ever, she wanted to say screw them all and stay exactly where she was.

"Is Simmons still trying to understand the suppressant?"

"Yes." The Brit was being particularly stubborn about it. "I'll handle it. The formula for that will never be recreated, no one is ever using it to harm you again. I'll handle it," she said again firmly, more to herself than anything.

"I trust you," he said simply. Then he lifted his head, eyes bright and blazing. "You know that, right? I trust you, no matter what."

"I- of course. Sure, Steve." Where had this sudden statement come from? "I trust you, too."

"Always." He pulled her close, angling their heads together, resting his forehead on hers. "I will always trust you."

"I--" she was interrupted by a knock on the door, and grumbled. She didn't have any meetings until 9.

"Just a minute!" She called, scrambling up to get dressed, pulling on an old Agents of Shield shirt.

"Maria." Steve reached for her hand. "I love you."

"I love you too, Steve. What--" The knock sounded again and Maria yanked on pants.

"What?!" She demanded, yanking the door open just enough so that she could see Coulson on the other side. "What, Phil?"
"

You're needed in the main common room. Fury's here."

Coulson and Boggs escorted her down. Maria was sandwiched between the two agents, Steve trailing quietly behind them. She'd tried convincing him to go back to sleep, but he quickly got dressed, saying it would be nice to see Fury.

Boggs's eyes had nearly popped out of his head when the two of them stepped out of the room together. Maria pressed her lips into a thin line at the way he looked from her to Steve, obviously figuring out their relationship. It made her shoulder blades itch. She didn't care that Phil knew, nor Helen or Simmons. Hell, she wouldn't care if Fury knew how much Steve was to her. But the idea of Boggs knowing had her fingers tapping against the side of her leg as they got on the elevator.