Chapter 9

"Hey, dad!" Sawyer called out as he swung the door shut behind him. With a clang, it sprung back into place.

"I'm in the living room," the shout came in response. Sawyer felt his feet automatically walk around the corner to the sitting room.

His dad sat in his usual plaid shirt and his mom was asleep in her chair, a half-knitted scarf in her hands. Sawyer felt a warmth come over him as he gave each one a hug, shaking his mom awake first.

"Sawyer honey, I didn't know you were coming over today," she said.

"How're you feeling?"

"I'm alright," she said. "It's your dad you ought to be worried about."

"Dad you doing okay?" Sawyer asked. His dad nodded.

"I don't know why you're so worried about me," he said in his deep, booming voice. "I've told you over and over that I'm fine."

"Not my fault I don't want you to die," she snapped back.

"If it's my time, it's my time," he said sternly.

Sawyer shook his head and sat on the edge of the couch. His dad had the latest football game on. No sooner than he stopped arguing with his wife than he had started yelling at the players on the tele about their strategy and their teamwork.

"So Sawyer," his mom leaned over. She had picked up the knitting needles and was continuing to knit. "Your dad tells me you made a friend on your trip."

"No," Sawyer said. "I can't say that he's a friend. More of an acquaintance." He preferred watching the elegant dance of the needles and yarn to the players tripping over one another for the ball.

"Well, that's too bad," she said. "I'd hoped you'd made a new friend." Sawyer shrugged.

His dad let out a shout. He jumped up and pumped his fists in the air.

"Thomas, you know you're not supposed to do that," Sawyer's mom said without looking up.

"Eh, like I care what those doctors say," he scowled as he took his seat again. "I've told you I don't care."

"Oh, come on, dad, you know better," Sawyer sounded like he was talking to a little kid. "If the doctor told you not to, then don't."

"The doctor told him not to exert himself, and guess who just had to go trim the trees in the backyard yesterday," his mom said.

"Dad!" Sawyer cried.

"Someone has to do it," he said. "And- oh, oh, oh- we can't pay someone to do it. Yes! That's how you score!" Sawyer and his mom made eye contact.

"I raised you and I didn't expect to have to raise him afterward," she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, mom," Sawyer scoffed. He smiled softly. "So when's your doctor visit to check on how you've been doing?"

"Oh don't worry about that, honey," her needles began to click faster.

"Don't lie to him," Sawyer's dad said, half-standing at the television. Sawyer shut his eyes tightly. He held his breath.

"He doesn't need to know that, Thomas," she said. "It's bad enough that you told him about yours."

"Mom?"

She sighed and hung her head. The needles stopped clicking and Sawyer heard a ringing in his ears. On the mantelpiece sat a postcard he'd sent from New York next to a series of pictures of him through the years.

"It's come back," she said with a soft smile.

Sawyer felt like he had been hit by a bus. It got harder to breathe and the pictures of him started to swirl. They mocked him with their taunting smiles and laughing faces.

"And..." Sawyer could barely whisper.

"It's worse," she said. "They don't think I'll make it more than another year." Sawyer opened his mouth to say something but no words came out. His mind was a jumble. He couldn't finish a thought.

He swallowed and the lump stayed in his throat. Sawyer looked at her, but she was back to knitting, needles clicking and he felt his heart drop at the realization that it had the rhythm of a heart monitor. Sensation in his limbs faded.

"It's alright, Sawyer," she said. "You're taking it worse than I did." He still couldn't say anything.

"So, you're looking for a new roommate, right?" his dad asked.

"I'll drop out right now," he said. "Come back and help. I never should have gone so far away."

"No, honey," his mom said. "Finish school."

"Your mother's right," Sawyer's father turned away from the television for the first time.

Sawyer was faced with the man whose mind he had and the woman whose face mirrored his. Their eyes were sad but determined. Sawyer carefully regarded both of them, faces he had known so intimately before they aged ten years while he was away at university.

He hung his head in defeat and let out a long, drawn-out sigh.

"I'm coming back as soon as I graduate," he said.

"If that's what you decide is best you for," his parents said in unison. They exchanged eye contact and returned to their activities. The clicking of his mother's needles was crisp in contrast to the echoed shouting from the television.

Sawyer felt his chest ache with sorrow. The day I'm done I'll be back to take care of you, he promised. Nothing could stop me.

He procured a textbook from the bag on the opposite side of the couch and buried himself in review, more determined than ever to succeed.