Chapter 26: Love or Duty?

Zelda knelt by the fire, a doll she had put together of Lilith sat in front of her. She wrapped a string around the doll, muttering a summoning spell. She heard nothing for a few moments. Nothing but the sounds of the old house. 

The fire crackled but she kept her eyes closed. Her hands nervously wrung together, dropping the doll somewhere on the floor. 

"Lilith…?" 

"Zelda." Heels creeked against the wood of the sitting room. "Why have you summoned me?" 

Zelda's mouth went dry and she swallowed a lump in her throat. "What do you mean, Lilith? You haven't talked to me since… since our meeting." 

The corner of Lilith's lips quirked upwards but Zelda didn't see the amusement written across her face. 

A gentle hand was placed on Zelda's shoulder, soft stroking the fabric of her night robe. Lilith's hand moved inside the robe, running down Zelda's arm. Zelda's skin grew hot and her hair stood up. 
Zelda let out a breath of relief, feeling the tension leave her body at the mere touch of the woman.

All was quiet. Soft snores from Hilda, the crackling of the fire and Salem's purring were the only sounds filling the Spellman home. 

Zelda's body was relaxed until five piercing nails dug into her shoulder. She muffled a whine at the sudden pain of Lilith's sharp nails. 

"You deified me, Zelda. I specifically said you may tell her when I instruct you to. And look what happened! She left you! Just as I told you would happen!" The nails left Zelda's flesh and the sharp sound of heels wandered over to the alcohol. Zelda kept her eyes closed, wincing at the slight pain in her shoulder. 
"Really, Zelda… what did you think was going to happen? She was going to be okay with it and still love you? Pfff ha!" Lilith laughed, pouring herself a glass of whiskey. 
"You are foolish! And neglecting your duties as High Priestess!" Zelda felt tears drip down her cheeks, making a soft sound as they hit the wooden floor. 
"You've sat around, moping over a mortal! Zelda… Zelda… Zelda." Lilith tsked, taking a long sip of her whiskey. 

"She'll take me back-" 

"Will she? Will she, Zelda? After all this? Why? Why would she want you back?" Zelda sobbed loud, choking on her sobs. Zelda didn't think Lilith would ever be this cruel towards her. 

The glass clinked as it was set down on a nearby table. Zelda was too caught up with wiping the tears from her eyes that she hadn't realised Lilith had grown closer to her again. 

The cold hand returned to her shoulder, brushing over the five bleeding crescents into the soft flesh. 

Lilith circled around her, coming out in front of her. Lilith's hands ran down her arms, pulling the robe down. Zelda felt exposed in nothing but a thin nightgown. 

"Look at me." Zelda wiped her eyes once again, before opening her eyes to the woman who looked so much alike the woman she loved. 

Lilith kneeled in front of her, hair full volume and in a tight black dress. Resting her hands on Zelda's cheeks, Lilith pulled her closer. Zelda's hands rested on her thighs and her eyes focused on the sharp features of Mary's- Lilith's face. 

"Oh, Zelda… I wish you would believe me when I say Mary Wardwell will… never love you again." Zelda's tears returned, pooling down her cheeks. Pity filled the blue eyes staring down at her. Lilith pulled her closer, softly kissing her. Zelda let it happen. Missing the feeling of Mary's against lips hers. Though it wasn't Mary, it felt like her. 

Lilith pulled back, fully letting go of Zelda's face. She stood, the fire's glow surrounding her. She looked, ironically, like an angel, swooning down to rescue Zelda from despair. 

"Goodnight, Zelda. My advice to you, if that was what you were calling upon me for, is to let go. Let go of the mortal Mary Wardwell. Let her live the rest of her miserable mortal life and move on with yours. Carry out the duty you had desired so bad." And she was gone. To Zelda's relief. Lilith was gone. 

Zelda stood up, brushing away the remainder of her tears. She filled Lilith's glass with water, drinking down and then setting it into the sink. 

Making her way upstairs, Zelda thought. Thought of the two paths before her. She finally understood Sabrina. Path of light or night. But for Zelda, the path of light was Mary and the path of night was Lilith. Path of love or duty. 

Hi... ummmmmm I have nothing to say for myself... if you wanna leave me comments telling me to get my ass in gear, please, I insist.