The Twist

Lucy’s head was spinning.

“Wipe the village with a powerful flood? Pour an army of fire ants in their beds as they slept? Send an inescapable hurricane to suck up every last person in the village?”

Lucy was angry, and when Lucy was angry, nothing could stop her from having her revenge. Her ideas were over the top, crazy even, but she knew that what she planned would never become a reality.

Sliding to her bedroom floor, Lucy covered her eyes and began to cry. Her cries weren’t soft and foolish cries like the ones little girls produced when they scarped their knees, but they were hard and immense cries of when someone died.

Her tears flowed down Lucy’s eyes, down her cheeks and dripped down her chin. Clear and beautiful, they dropped down onto her hands glistening as they disappeared. Then she noticed something different. The more she cried, the more her heart broke, and the stronger she felt. Dizzy and confused, she made her way to the cabinet and look for a cure. Unfocused, she grabbed the nearest bottle unnoticing the label of poison.

Lucy clumsily poured the liquid in its cap and drank. Three seconds. That was all it took for the poison to take an effect. She collapsed to the floor and felt herself change. The fiery rage inside of her began to boil and burst and felt a wondrous sensation inside of her.

Blinking repeatedly, she looked up and gazed upon her reflection. Nothing changed. As unstereotypical as it sounds, nothing had changed. She hadn’t grown wart and her nose didn’t grow bigger. Her eye color had remained the same and her skin was still smooth. Slightly frustrated, she walked outside for a breath of fresh air.

Breathing in and breathing out, Lucy finally began to relax and slowly close her eyes. But something snapped and she looked up, alert and surprisingly… angry.