The Beginning

I climbed the grass hill that slowly lead up to the band hall, heading to afternoon practice for band. 'It's nice and hot. I guess I'll sit outside until it's time to go in.' I thought to myself.

Walking in, the band hall lights were dimmed, and a few upperclassmen were sat, watching DCI finals from some year that our percussion director, Mr. Hawkins, was in Phantom Regiment. I awkwardly made it to my trumpet cubby, grabbed my cold instrument, and walked back outside and sat down, looking through some music we has received this morning.

"HANNAH!" KayDee Shuffield and Chris Tyson called my name. I smiled, these two were crazy.

"Hey guys," I replied. "How was lunch break?" KayDee sat down on top of the metal table where I was sitting, and Chris sat down on the seat beside her, resting his hand on her knee, gently stroking it. I grinned internally. These two were so cute.

"It was full of food and air-conditioning, if you know what I mean." KayDee smiled.

I nodded and smiled, as a guy dressed in a sombrero-style hat, band prides, and a grey, Atlanta shirt walked over to us. I giggled.

"Hey, nice hat man." I said. He looked at me and awkwardly smiled.

"T...Thanks," He replied. "Your hair looks nice."

This kid was so awkward, it was adorable. 'Wait... 'Adorable'? No, no, no. Don't think that. You're with Hunter.' I grinned at him.

"Thanks, ...." I drug out the silence. I believed his name was Chris, but I wanted to make sure.

"Chris. Chris Shada." He finished, smiling.

"Thanks, Chris," I laughed, "I'm now officially calling you Shada from now on."

"Hey Hannah, how are you and Hunter?" KayDee asked, giving me a "you're-flirting-now-stop-it" look.

I beamed, "We're doing great."

Chris looked at me. "You're taken?" He asked.

"Yes," I answered. "Taken bacon." I laughed quietly at my witty, rhyming word play.

I thought I saw his face kind of drop, like he was saddened by me being taken. I shrugged it off.

"You ready for the march off today, Chris?" I asked. Today was the march off, also the last day of summer band. We would go show off what we had been working on, then end the day by swimming and eating burgers.

"Oh, totally." He smiled.

"Everyone inside!" Mr. Sanders, the band director called out.

"Guess that's our cue." I grabbed my instrument and walked into the band hall, Shada, Chris, and KayDee trailing behind me.