Chapter two

"Knock Knock." A blonde, 5'9, brown eyed boy walked into the room with a small box in his hands.

"Mark!" Teresa and Nate both said in an excited unison.

"How are my favorite people?" Mark sat on Teresa's bed and gently kissed her forehead. 

"We are just fine honey, how was your week?"

"It was great! I did good on my tests and my professor says I have a lot of potential."

"Isn't that sweet.." Teresa chuckled softly but Nate gazing at Mark caught her attention, he was a helpless romantic and she could relate with him. "Did you do good in college, Nate?

The blonde boy turned to the other and Nate almost heart attack. "Uh.. yeah! I was a bit lazy but my mom knocked some sense into me and I was able to power through for two years."

"Only two years? I have to do four!" 

"Well.. I had to do four too but.." Nate nudged to his heart monitor.

"Oh.. you had your accident." Mark felt bad.

"It's fine though, once I get better, I fully plan on returning to my school and pursuing my career in art." Nate smiled to reassure the boy that no harm was done.

There was a strange silence between the boys but Teresa helped. "That reminds me, why don't you show Mark you sketches?"

"oh~ you have new ones?"

Nate nodded quickly and reached to the side of the bed where his sketchbook was placed carefully. "It's.. mainly drawings of a man." He wouldn't admit it but they were all of Mark but modified to make it less obvious. 

Mark took the book and opened it to where it was bookmarked. A man's face filled all the pages as he went through them. "You draw faces really nice.. who is this supposed to be?"

The artist gulped nervously and looked at Teresa, she nodded as to tell him to say the truth but he couldn't. "I-It's one of my old friends!"

"He looks like me.. though my nose is not like that and I'm probably more handsome." Mark said with a jokingly cocky tone.

"Yeah.. but did you bring cookies?" 

"oh yeah!" Mark quickly grabbed the box and handed it to Teresa first to grab one. "Made sure to make a few extra so there's more for you guys to eat tomorrow."

"How did I get such a nice son?"

"Easy. You were an equally nice mother." Mark smiled at his mom then handed the box to Nate so he could grab one.

The three of them talked for a few hours. Every time Mark came to visit, there was no such thing as silence. He was their sun and they always wanted to hear him talk. Sure, the two patients talked plenty even when Mark wasn't around but it wasn't the same. It was like coming home to your dog after a long day, he is just so happy and even if things weren't so great, your pet makes them go away. 

But of course, their happiness had to end. Nate had to go get his x-rays and Mark was going home so he wouldn't be able to see him after.

"Are you sure you can't stay even a little longer?" Nate mumbled sadly.

"I have to go to class.. but I promise to come visit tomorrow morning again!"

"..Alright."

Mark sighed and gently kissed Nate's forehead. "You like me around, don't you?"

"Of course I do! We've known each other for a month and it's just so nice to have someone around.."

"You have my mom."

"I love Teresa but I mean someone who doesn't snore every Tuesday."

They shared a laugh.

"Yeah.. it's really nice seeing you, we don't get to see each other often but.. I like you."

Nate blushed a bright red and turned to stare into those deep eyes. "As.. As a friend or..?"

Before Mark could clarify himself, a nurse walk over. "Mr Micheals, your doctor is ready."

"Okay but.. Mark-"

"I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow."

"..Oh, okay.." Nate watched Mark walk away and he felt sick. Had he ruined his one chance or.. was Mark too shy to admit his feelings? Wait!