one

It came in waves.

they hit and rippled, crashing through my trembling hands like water from a mountain stream, the anxiety a thousand sharpened knives stabbing at the fractures of my bones. Its ghostly hands grasped my lungs, emptying them of air.
and just like waves, it ended as soon at it had begun.

"Are you alright, Mr. Fell?" The speakeasy came to around me as I opened his eyes - the leather of my seat, the pipe next to me, the dim lights and the waiter who waited for a response.

"Quite, thank you."

"A glass of whiskey, on the house. You look like you need it."

He walked back towards the bar, and poured a glass, bringing it back to my table. I raised it to my lips and it burned down my throat, smooth and strong. The bartender walked away, and I brought out my fountain pen - black ink flew across the page as I began to write.

you were the waves/ i was a lonely soul/ who made you up in my head/ or maybe i just wanted to love something/ other than the ocean/ 

...

"This is terrible, Az. This makes no sense. Definitely never going to get published this way. Also, you need to lose weight. Immediately. Nobody wants an overweight writer."Gabriel threw the poem in the wastebasket, swiping his hands together.

"You're a shit writer, but with editing, we can make you a better one."I nodded, my head down. Of course.

"I'll bring you better ones next week, and I'll work on the weight."

He waved me out, and I put on my coat, hands twisting open the doorknob into the snow.All I wanted was a classic, perhaps a Jane Austen, chamomile tea, and a couch.

As I walked, my scarf flung around my neck, I saw a glimpse of red hair, fluttering in the breeze. Maybe he was a good writer. Maybe he wasn't useless like I was.

I reached West Egg, and swung open the door, hanging up my coat and hat, settling down to read. A knock sounded suddenly, and I sat up, pushing my glasses to the roof of my nose, and walked over to open the door. 

"Who is it?"

The man with crimson hair stood outside my doorway, sunglasses poised on his face, shrouded in a black suit. 

"Crowley. Anthony Crowley. I'm your neighbor."

(A/N: the following chapters will be longer, if i decide to continue it.)