Chapter 6

"I wish Joseph could’ve stayed in here with us.” Basil said, running his fingers through the purring kitten’s fur. June arched into his touch, pleased with the attention.

Three days had passed since Basil’s arrival in Mercuri, and there had been no word from Bane nor the rest of their siblings. As the weather worsened, it was hardly a surprise, but Lily wished for something more than just the ice and snow collecting on her window frame.

"I don’t think my bed would have been large enough.” Lily quipped distractedly as she stood at the window. The courtyard below was empty except for the occasional servant or guard leaving footprints in the never-ending snow.

The fire nearby burned much too low, and she saw her brother shiver as he leaned back against the pillows, the blankets pulled up to his chest. “He was badly injured, wasn’t he? All for me, and I never even knew.” He murmured.

"You didn’t see him get injured?”

"No,” he shook his head, “I don’t remember much.”

"What do you remember?”

Basil closed his eyes. “I noticed the fire first and tried to escape. Bane was standing outside Father’s old study, and for a moment, I thought he was trying to help the twins escape. But his eyes, Lily, they were black as night. I yelled for the twins to run, and Bane...attacked me. He was going to kill me then, I think. He kept saying how he was going to make you pay for betraying us. I-I don’t remember anything after that,” he looked up to meet Lily’s eyes, tears swimming in his, “I woke up later in the forest with Joseph watching over me. I don’t know if the others are safe or not.”

"We’ll find them,” she promised then added, “Joseph is a hero, you know, for saving you.”

Basil tensed as he continued to pet June, drawing more contented purrs from the kitten as she curled up in his lap. “I suppose he is. He did run into a burning castle just to save me.”

"You don’t sound very happy about that.”

"I ordered him to protect our siblings. He came to my side instead.”

"If he hadn’t, I wouldn’t be speaking to you right now. Instead, I would be mourning your death.” She moved from the window to sit beside him on the bed. “I am grateful he saved you.”

"He’ll have to be rewarded.”

"Yes, of course. Anything he wants.”

A strange look appeared in Basil’s eyes. “Yes, anything he wants.” He shifted on the bed with a poorly concealed flinch.

"Are you in pain? Should I go get another potion from Eldon?”

Basil shot her an amused yet grateful smile. “Yes, please. I think the previous one is wearing off,” he paused, “ask about Joseph for me.”

"Of course. I’ll also send a servant up with some breakfast. Rest now.” She patted his leg before standing up and leaving her chambers.

She headed to the kitchens first, navigating the empty corridors with ease. It was still early morning, just past dawn, and the castle was only now beginning to stir. She had woken much earlier to the wind howling outside her window and realized her brother had not slept once during the night. It worried her. She made a mental note to mention it to Eldon with the hopes he would administer another potion to help Basil sleep through the night. She could handle his tossing and turning, but not him sitting up in bed all night staring at something only he could see.

Lily stopped in front of the small wooden door that led into the kitchens, pausing at the sound of voices coming from inside. It was gossip as usual, but curiosity and the subject of choice prompted Lily to eavesdrop when normally she wouldn’t have bothered.