The Beginning

I couldn't be more excited... my whole childhood I only watched one of the biggest events of the yearly Pokémon tournament on a TV, but this year I'd be a part of it. I'd dreamed of this moment, but it was more magnificent than I could've ever imagined; dozens if not hundreds of people running around, their Pokémon following closely behind them. Lines longer than I'd ever seen in the small town I was used to. Screens bigger and better than I even knew existed, showing highlight reels of past victories.

After running into that stadium with the other challengers, I felt like I couldn't even breathe. Not because I ran too fast, but because I had the breath knocked from my lungs; the cameras didn't do anything justice. The stadium was so big I couldn't even guess how many people were in it. The lights were bright and beautiful, with giant screens lining the ends of the field. Seeing trainers and gym leaders, even on the screens, was like seeing a celebrity right in front of you. Before I knew it, the region Champion came out and wished us all a fantastic journey to the top, where we would finally cross paths with him on the battlefield and he could see our full potential. Hearing him say those words brought me back to when we were kids... the memory flooded my mind.
——————
"Wow, that was a great battle!" Leon said, picking up his Charmeleon. It was his 13th birthday, and I promised him we would battle as many times as he wanted. Luckily, he gave up after 10.
"You're lucky I lasted this long" I said, wiping a couple beads of sweat from my forehead. The sun was oddly bright today, but that's how Leon liked it. Bright and fiery, like his favorite Pokémon and like his energetic soul. He looked at me and smiled that big smile he always had on. When I saw the sparkles in his eyes, I knew that this was his passion — battling until he could barely think anymore. His endless energy and motivation to do something like that all day and all night until he got better and better, it could inspire anyone. He inspired me every day.
——————
All the feelings came back like I was still standing in his yard with him on that hot day. He gazed across the crowd of trainers, but his eyes locked on mine. He seemed confused, then it was like a lightbulb went off in his head and I saw those sparkles in his eyes again. He stuttered before continuing with his speech, realizing that the world was still watching him.
"I-I have high hopes for the outcome of this year's tournament. Something tells me I'll see something I never expected."
He spoke some more before striking his famous pose, and the whole stadium did it too. His Charizard roared and the whole stadium exploded with screams of excitement. The tournament had officially begun.

As I made it to the hotel rented for all trainers, the group of people I had begun to chat with all went their separate ways once inside the automatic glass doors. I barely made it a few steps into the door before one of the workers walked up to me and gave me two paper envelopes; I was about to ask how they knew who I was, but the worker tapped on the envelopes he placed into my hands. Without saying a word to me, he turned around and walked back to the front desk. I opened the first envelope with 628 written on the front, and the plastic key card to my room was inside. The second envelope had my name written on the front. I opened the second envelope and pulled out a small piece of paper.

Long time no see. Already in your room. Didn't want you to be alarmed.
~ Leon