iii

It took some convincing for Steve and Bucky to let Charlie go home alone

It took some convincing for Steve and Bucky to let Charlie go home alone. Still, he wanted to do it himself, it turned out not to be such a great idea when he had to ignore the spine-tingling dirty looks, no doubt meant for his so-called caregiver that they thought he was supposed to have but he ignored them as he so often does. Charlie gripped his cane tightly as someone stepped before him, blocking him from moving. "Excuse me." Charlie tries to nod forward but they just clasp their hands before they start talking. "Do you need help? I can help you cross the street." It was a woman no older than 35 judging by her face Charlie noticed, he took a sharp inhale before looking at the woman with a faux smile on his face. "No thank you, I got it." Charlie gripped his cane tighter before he watched as the woman huffed loudly before she turned on her heels and started to walk away, but she wasn't far enough away before Charlie could hear her say. "I was just trying to help." But by the woman's tone, Charlie knew it wasn't just about helping him, it was about the woman feeling like a good person.

Charlie scrubs his free hand over his face as he grips the railing of his families townhouse, he takes shaky steps up the stairs until he reaches the door, he goes to grab the keys from his pocket to unlock it when the door opens, he pales as he comes face to face with his Dad. "Dad, I thought you would still be at work." Charlie looks at His Dad, Theodore Donoghue nervously. "I could tell by the frightened look on your face, get inside kid." Charlie does as his Father asks and quickly limps inside, he places his cane behind the door when Theodore closes it. Charlie uses the leverage from the side table to help him to the couch. "Are you gonna tell Ma?" Charlie asks quietly when he sits down on the couch.

"Hell no, not only would you be dead but so would I, besides I agree with your argument that you need to start fending and taking care of yourself because unfortunately, we won't be around forever." Charlie opened his mouth to say something when they hear the lock disengage and the doorknob starts to turn, and in walks Amelia. Charlie lets out a huge sigh of relief while Theodore just looks amused as he gets up from his chair he pushes the cigarette he was smoking into the ashtray that was on the table. "Did you think I was Ma?" Amelia placed her hands on her hips in a similar fashion that their Mum would do. Sheepishly, Charlie nodded. Amelia shakes her head before she starts to walk towards the kitchen and places the bags she's holding on the kitchen table.

Charlie shakes his head amused before he carefully balances himself before he slowly limps towards the kitchen, luckily Amelia doesn't try to help him, all she does is raise an eyebrow but continues to take the fruits and veggies out of the paper bags and places them in the bowls placed on the counter. "How was school today?" Charlie asks as he leans against the dining chair, he doesn't want to sit again but he can feel his knee getting tired. "It was good, but long of course. Then I went to the Lynns to babysit but they told me to take the night off so I ended up picking up groceries. What did you do?" Amelia pulls out the chair opposite Charlie and sits down, Charlie scoffs at her accusation. "What makes you think I did something?" Amelia gave him a look.

"You still have your shoe on." Amelia points down towards the shoe that Charlie did in fact still have on, Charlie sighed before rubbing a hand across his face. "I went to go see Bucky and Steve." About the same time that Charlie answered Amelia he heard Theodore let out a snort as he came out from the bathroom. "What kind of name is Bucky?" Charlie fondly rolled his eyes. "I've told you many times, it's a nickname." He gently reminded as his eyes followed his Father as he walked over to the kitchen drawer where he kept the cheap cigarettes. Theodore used the special Irish ones that he has shipped over, on holidays and such but on regular days like today he just does the ones you can buy in the pack.

"Right, how are Steve and Bucky?" Amelia asks looking at Charlie with clasped hands. "They're good, Bucky gets his orders in a few days and Steve is nervous about that so I might be spending a lot more time with Steve if that's okay?" Charlie looked at both Theodore and Amelia nervously who both shrugged like didn't care. "If that's okay?" Shannon's voice echoed throughout the doorway as the storm door clanged behind her, Charlie didn't have to turn around to know she has her arms crossed from Charlie standing up on both legs.

He closed his eyes and let out a sigh. "Hi, Ma." He heard Shannon let out a sigh and the chain of her purse clinked as she placed it on the couch. "If what's okay?" Shannon's voice was considerably closer than before. When Charlie was hesitant to answer Shannon just raised an eyebrow, in a manner as Amelia did before. "Fine, I hung out with Steve and Bucky today. Bucky is getting his orders soon and Steve is really worried so I'm going to be a good best friend and hang out with him more because I am also worried. I don't want anything bad to happen to Bucky or Steve." Charlie pressed his lips together as he looked at Shannon worriedly, he was worried about what she would think. "Well, I can't fault you for wanting to be a good friend, can I? I'm very proud of you Charles." Shannon brought her hands up and squeezed Charlie's cheeks lovingly before pressing a kiss to his cheek and letting go quickly.

Charlie had a feeling that she was moving closer to giving Charlie more independence, all he had to do was be patient.