Chapter Six

Later that day, Micah went back further into the city to look for any other potential jobs. He wasn't sure where to search, and most people were busy in their work, trying to prepare for the upcoming festival in Verta, so the people he almost ventured to ask turned away promptly after seeing a keen eye for answers.

The city people who weren't occupied with their noses shoved into books or hands grasping tools to carve away at their workload could be seen lounging around or buying worthless items from high-rated markets and shops. It all had no point, at least to Micah.

However, after striding through plenty of streets and watching for any sign of someone hiring, he spotted a wide, rather disheveled building compared to the rest. Intrigued, Micah stepped inside and was overwhelmed at first sight.

The interior looked no better or cleaner than the exterior of the building, and the customers or visitors seemed to match the aesthetic just fine. One man Micah noticed in particular was a huge, dark-skinned, burly man lazing at the front counter of the room, which was set up similar to a trader's shop, with signs on the walls and posters on every empty space the signs didn't cover. The man spoke with a tall, younger man, and with their bickering and nabbing at each other, Micah assumed they were friends.

Someone nudged Micah as he stood there, and he about jumped through the roof with astonishment.

A woman dressed in light robes and tied-off loose trousers giggled beside him. "Ah, sorry, I couldn't help it. Are you new to the guild hall? You seem...abashed by this whole affair."

He scratched his head, his face warming. "I--yes, I have never been here before."

"Interesting accent you have!" she exclaimed, raising a hand to her mouth. Her demeanor belied her outfit, and Micah wondered if she was from someplace other than Verta, but his thoughts were interrupted by her continuing, "My name is Korta. It's a pleasure to greet you into the guild." She bowed her head politely.

He repeated her actions and said, "I'm Micah. Oh, and I never really joined the guild...I was just seeing what was in here."

"Oh, is that so? Well, you may still join if you wish. What else were you perhaps expecting to see in here?"

Micah glanced at the walls blotted up with the signs, posters, and other papers with descriptions and printed or drawn versions of faces on most. "What is all over these walls? They made me curious as soon as I came in."

Korta looked to where he was, and her upright posture shifted as she peered at the nearest sheet. She pointed at it in understanding. "Ahah! Yes, of course. In the guild, we accept odd requests and jobs that most other citizens would not under normal circumstances, but some pile up with ease as the members slouch at their desks. Ahem, Conory!"

A sleeping man, head resting on a table and feet stretched below the bench, bolted up at Korta's call and saw her from the opposite side of the room. He blinked twice, his gaze apologetic, and returned to the unfinished paper laid in front of him.

"Sorry, Micah," she said, amusement lacing her words. "That's my lover. He tends to be...complacent with his work, and unfortunately, that only proves my previous point."

"So, what sorts of jobs end up being set aside?"

"Hm...they are generally the jobs that would either take too long to complete or are bounty hunting jobs. Ay, I mean, there are some, though very few, people who take these jobs, but they don't visit around here often. Most of the guild members are just folks hoping to earn a bit for easy yet strange tasks."

"That makes sense," he murmured, looking from picture to picture. Why had he never thought of something like this before? It wasn't stable, but there would always be a job available.