The Third Step

Track- Noor e khuda

Sometimes, you need to kindle the scars and keep them warm before winters arrive.

It was often said that new things took time to adjust, he had experienced it as well, but what was happening right now, sunk in immediately; it didn't take any time.

Neil woke up to find Avni sleeping in his arms peacefully, it was the first time they actually woke up like that, after their marriage. It wasn't awkward for him and least hoped for it to be, for Avni.

The influence of the wine had almost wore off, still his head hurt and he needed a desperate shower now. He removed his shoulder from underneath Avni's head and was about to go when something caught his eye. Avni's loose dress had slid a bit down her shoulder, revealing some red scars.

He gulped, remembering she wasn't over with whatever happened with her in the jail, and she was beaten there.

He remembered her flinching eye when she was in the medic room, opening the bandages around her elbow which had swollen very much, her bit lip when she applied on the ointment herself which surely gave some severe burning sensations, her eagerness to breathe in as much air as she could when she half opened her eyes, outside the wall. She did tell him that she was beaten with iron rods but she was fine now.

No Neil, she is not fine. Zakhm hai, tumhari vajah se.

He suddenly felt the need to go away from her and throw up. She was living like hell, but acted to be all miles away from pain to soothen his brewing storms. She might have erased her mental pain but the physical pain was not away, not even a tranche.

He covered her shoulder and ran into the washroom. Opening the shower at its full pace, he drowned his face in his hands and cried. She was doing everything plausible to make him happy and he failed to understand her pain. She truly deserved someone better than him.

❝Neil are you trying to drown in the shower?❞ Avni knocked softly but her amplitude was high enough for him to be out of his thoughts. Trying not to sound broken he answered- ❝No, I'm coming..❞

>>>>>>>>>>>>

❝Not the sarees then, huh?❞ Neil asked, maintaining his distance from Avni. She was trying to cover her wounds maybe, that's why.
❝I don't fancy them anymore, I'll wear them, later, maybe.❞ Avni shrugged normally and resumed putting the new clothes Shweta bought for her inside the cupboard.

❝So, how was yesterday?❞ Avni asked, grinning and scratched the back of her neck, glancing at him. ❝It..it was good.❞ Neil said, hesitantly. He couldn't face her. He was too scared to be near her, in case she got physically hurt again.

As if giving him the perfect excuse, his phone rang and he had to rush to the police station immediately. He didn't say a bye and ran not before smiling awkwardly at Avni.

He met Shweta before leaving, though.

“Atleast have breakfast, Avni made it for us.” She urged. Neil sat, nervously. While everyone had a grand meal, Avni filled her belly with plain rice.
Maybe the Jail routine.

Neil glanced at Avni's face which clearly said that she wanted to spend time with him but he ignored it and went. He was just too guilty about whatever she went through.

... Through the course of his work, Avni had called him five times, he didn't pick any call. He infact didn't open Whatsapp as well because it was flooded with her messages and he didn't want her to see him online, without reading her texts. But he did read them: through the notifications.

Hi
Neil?
Do you prefer pink?
Shall I buy blue ones?
Do you need some pants too?
Will black ones do?
Shall I change the curtains?
Will yellow go with the grey walls?
......
Reply?
Brought some new shirts for you.
What will you have for dinner?

I feel lonely Neil.

Neil sighed, reading her latest message. He didn't want to do that but he had to. A message from the Commissioner came and he senselessly opened it and immediately another message came.
Online but still no replies?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

❝You all had food?❞ Neil asked his family who was sitting in the lounge, doing routine works. “Yes, Avni did too, but the plain rice again.” Shweta added and resumed checking her phone.

“She made for you too, have it and then go.”
“I don't want to.” Neil answered and went upstairs

Avni was sitting near the window, writing something in her notebook. Several bags were kept on the bed, maybe the clothes she bought for him. He picked them up and kept them inside the cupboard.

❝Too tired to talk?❞ Avni faced him when he turned. Her face held a disappointed look, she looked like she cried. There was a crepe bandage around her elbow. “Fell while hanging the curtains.” She murmured, wanting answers. She had hurt her arm which was fractured before.

Neil held her shoulder right at the wound. Avni looked scared. He gave it a firm squeeze, she closed her eyes and hissed in pain. Neil stared in her eyes and was about to go when her sobs hit his ears.

They hurt Neil. They're painful. These scars are painful Neil. Shayad ye vo zakhm hai jo kabhi nahi jaayenge, tumhari narazgi ki tarah.

Hola!

Hola!

Vote★ Comment★

RCB bought Chris Morris (SA fast bowler), Aaron Finch (Aus captain), Dale Steyn (King of Yorkers), Isuru Udana( SL), Kane Richardson

Existing squad- Virat Kohli, Ab de Villiers, Yuzi Chahal, Umesh Yadav, Parthiv Patel, Moeen Ali and more.
Never seen Rcb so balanced.