Tryouts

Shōyō walked to the gym after classes were over, "I wonder if I'll even be any good at this..." he mumbles to himself. The sound of volleyballs hitting the floor and the sound of shoes squeaking filled his ears as he felt himself getting excited to try something new. Calmly sliding the door open and peaking inside, he could see two other people who looked to be first years warming up.

'I guess the upperclassmen aren't here yet..' he thought. Opening the door the rest of the way and heading over to the bench to put his stuff down, one of the other first years walked over to him.

"Are you the captain?" They asked, this shocked Shoyo, surely, but he quickly responded with a simple, "No." With their answer the first year went back to warming up with people Shoyo assumed were their friends.

15-20 minutes passed and only someone Shōyō assumed was a third year has showed up, Shoyo was warming up with them. Eventually, Shoyo got the courage to ask, "Are you the captain of this team?" The third year made a similar face that Shōyō assumed he did when he was asked the question, only for it to be followed by a slight smile. "No, there's supposed to be another third year coming but they got sick yesterday so they couldn't show. As the co-captain, I guess it's my job to decide who's going to be joining the team."

With a small "oh," from Shōyō they got back to warming up.

An hour, maybe two hours passed and the try outs were finally over. "Well I guess it's time i break the news to you three," the co-captain spoke, "Yukigaoka isn't really known for volleyball and over the years the amount of people signing up has only decreased, at this point the only people in the club are me and the captain and even with you three, we won't even have enough to enter a tournament, let alone play a game."

The other two first years left, leaving Shōyō and the co-captain alone. "I guess they were only in it for tournaments, huh?" the co-captain sighed, not even noticing Shoyo's presence. "Oh, you're still here? I assumed everyone would leave like those two."

"I don't want to leave, I've fallen in love with this sport the moment try outs ended, I realized this is something I want to do!" Shoyo yelled, his eyes shining.

"Well that was a little much, but okay, you're on the team. We meet here every tuesday and thursday for practice. We can work on the fundamentals so when you go to high school you can play for your own team." The co-captain said with a smile while patting Shoyo on the head.