Chapter 6 - Curiosity Might Kill Me

Standing around the corner from whoever or whatever was creating this dense atmosphere of magic and I am not sure what to do.

My curiosity brought me here but did I actually want to know what was going on? Yes. Apparently my curiosity won because before I realized I was peeking around the corner. It was a dimly lit area but I could make out a silhouette of a person. This person wasn't exactly tall and they had on a hoodie with the hood up. They were definitely the cause of this magical energy but I still couldn't figure out where I knew this energy from. The person must have noticed me because they pointed at me before stumbling towards me. The magic that filled the air was being drawn back into the person as they dropped their arms by their sides. I was frozen where I stood from both fear and confusion as I watched this person. They stopped trying to walk, looking as if they could fall face first at any moment. They were about 4 strides from me and their magic was almost completely withdrawn. As the last bit of their magic disappeared from the area the person started falling forward. Before I could think I lunged towards them somehow catching the person before they hit the ground.

It was too dark to make out their face but from the way I caught them I could tell this person is a female. I quickly but gently put her down on the ground. I reached for my phone and was about to use its light to see her face when my phone was pushed away. She mumbled something I couldn't make out. I leaned in attempting to make out what was being said when someone from behind covered my eyes and pulled me back away from her. I was about to pull the hand off my face when I heard a man say "don't move." So slightly terrified I sat there not moving. The man asked "why do you insist on doing this the hard way every time?" I couldn't sense any magic coming from this man but through his touch I could now tell that he didn't intend on harming me in any way. He addressed me saying "kid, don't open your eyes until I say. Alright." I nodded my head without speaking. I didn't know what to say. Even though I knew he wasn't going to hurt me I was still shaken up. He removed his hand and must have gotten close to her, because I could hear his voice coming from in front of me near where she was. "Maybes." He said quietly "seriously what do you want me to do?" I could understand only a bit of what she mumbled "...us ...im. ... ." "Are you sure?" He asked. "Geez. Alright kid." Addressing me "I'm gonna give you two options. You can either stay there for about three minutes while I get her and myself away from here or you can open your eyes and come with us, but you might not make it home." I was trying to figure out how to answer when I heard him grunt. He continued with "...for dinner. You'll have to have dinner with us before you can go home." After hearing that I didn't hesitate to open my eyes. Not like it did any good it was still too dark to see much of anything. The man had got her onto his back and started walking the way I came from. I got up and followed behind them.

We walked for a few minutes before we passed a rundown shop, and turned the corner to go behind it. We were at Evelynn's house. The light by the door revealed Chrono with Evelynn on his back. Chrono invited me to head upstairs as he locked the door. As I headed upstairs my mind began racing with questions. All of the questions I wanted to ask her at lunch and lots of new ones. I plopped myself down on their couch tried to sort my thoughts and questions. Chrono took Evelynn to her room then went straight to the kitchen. I had so many questions I needed to pick one to start with. I decided to ask Chrono "is she going to be alright? She collapsed, doesn't she need to go to the hospital?" He didn't turn away from what he was cooking on the stove when he said "nah. She'll be on her feet by the time I'm done cooking." I wasn't sure what he was cooking but it smelled good. Since me coming here ment I had to eat dinner here, I decided to call my mom and tell her I was eating out. After I got off the phone with my mom I helped Chrono set the table for three. Chrono said Ben was working late today. I still don't know what Ben does but I get the feeling I won't get an answer even if I ask. As soon as Chrono brought the last thing to the table Evelynn stumbled out of her room nearly tripping over her own feet.