Chapter 3

As Hermione spoke, she didn't realize the changes in the expressions of her companions. Sirius glanced at Remus repeatedly. Remus, on the other hand, kept his eyes glued to the fire, but Sirius could see that he was getting twitchy. His face was getting redder with every word. Sirius grinned.

"And that's what happened," Hermione said, "I'm not sure if you can figure it out. I don't know how else I could find him. I only saw him that night. Some students did say that they saw someone who matched his description but like me, they never saw him again. I wonder if he's a ghost, though. Although I highly doubt it. I was able to dance with him and he was solid..."

Hermione had left out the things she didn't want to tell the men who were listening but just the thought of it made her blush. Suddenly, Remus stood up. She and Sirius looked at him.

"I – I'm going to bed. I'm quite exhausted so uh, I'll try to help you with your puzzle tomorrow, Hermione. Have a good night. You, too, Pads." Remus quickly said. Without waiting for an answer, he left the room.

Sirius chuckled. Hermione looked at him in confusion.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, nothing. Say, Hermione, do you want to have some hot cocoa with me before we turn in for the night?"

"Sure."

"Great. Why don't you go ahead and wait in the kitchen? I'll just go to the bathroom for a bit."

Hermione nodded. She went to the kitchen while Sirius went upstairs. Not a minute later, he apparated to the outside of the kitchen. He entered and saw Hermione taking two mugs from the cupboard. Sirius prepared the drink and after a few minutes, they sat on the counter.

"What about you, Sirius?"

"What about me?"

"Do you have a puzzle you can't solve?"

"I actually just solved it tonight."

"Oohh! How long did it take you?"

"About as long as yours, I think."

"Tell me about it!"

"Well..."

"Come on! I told you mine."

"I would gladly tell you all about it, Hermione, but I'm afraid the puzzle doesn't concern me alone. It has to do with a friend of mine. I'll tell you what, I'll ask him if he's okay with me telling you about it then I'll let you know."

"Oh, okay then. That's fair enough."

The two talked for a little bit more. Sirius then finished his drink and bid Hermione a good night. He got up from his seat and made his way to the door.

"Merry Christmas, again, Hermione. Have a good night."

"And a merry Christmas to you, Sirius."

Sirius walked out of the door and Hermione heard him slowly make his way up the stairs. She drank the last bit of hot cocoa from her mug and then got up to wash it. She took Sirius' mug and was about to bring them to the sink when she saw a piece of white card on the table. She turned to the door wondering if it belonged to Sirius. On it was written, "To: Young miss". She furrowed her eyebrows at the words. She had heard someone call her that before but she couldn't remember who.

She picked it up and turned it around. Her eyes widened.

Hermione forgot the mugs and ran up the stairs all the way to the third floor. She sprinted to the closed door at the end of the hall and knocked.