31st of October 1981

31st October 1981

Lily Potter, the eldest child of the potters, ran around the living room, laughing happily.

She was 3 years old, 2 years older than her baby brother Harry. She was named after her mother for her wavy bright red hair and soft features. She was identical to her, except from her eyes, which were chocolate brown like her father James's.

It was halloween night. Lily had her at costume on. Her fake cats nose strapped on top of her normal nose, she was wearing her black, furry jumpsuit that had an attached tail and a hairband with cats ears on it. She was ready for trick or treating like her father had promised the night before. She was crawling along beside Harry, purring at him which made him giggle. He was so small, she thought to herself.

They were inseparable, ever since harry was born. She wouldn't leave the hospital or even the side of his cot. If James tried to move her she would have a screaming fit, kicking and punching until her father would have to put her down. Then she would run as fast as her tiny legs would carry her, all the way back up to her mother and little brother in the maternity ward.

She was laughing with Harry. "I'll be right back, baby brother" she said as she got up. She skipped into the kitchen but stopped as she saw her parents. They were talking in hushed, concerned voices in the corner of the kitchen. She had never saw her parents like this before. Her mothers face was pale and her fathers smile was gone, an angry but sad look in his eyes.

"I'm sorry James, I know you wanted to take them out tonight but its to dangerous. You know what Dumbledor said 'Lay low'" Lily had never heard her mother speak like this. She wasn't angry, lily knew from way too many experiences what she sounded like when she was angry, and this wasn't what she sounded like. It was worse. Lily's mummy sounded scared.

"Mummy, whats wrong?" As she spoke the words she sounded scared too and her parents turned too see her standing in the kitchen doorway. James immediately smiled, the smile he knew his daughter would return instantly. They had a bond, a special bond. It wasn't like a normal father and daughter relationship. When lily got scared or had nightmares, she wouldn't cry for mummy, she would cry for daddy. He came and scooped her up in his arms, spinning her around as she giggled hysterically.

James grinned at her, "Hey little devil". His wife laughed as their daughter told him that she wasn't a devil anymore, she was a cat! "Oh sorry, hey little cat. I have to tell you something, okay?" He said in a slightly more serious tone. She nodded as he set her on the kitchen bunker. "Lils, we can't go out tonight" Her smile faded, as did his. "I'm sorry"

She looked between they both, her eyes showing confusion then sadness. "But, but you promised daddy!" Tears filled the little girls eyes. "You promised!" James hugged his daughter and whispered to her, calming her, "I know, I really am sorry. But we're going to have way more fun in here tonight." She looked up at him hopefully, he wiped her tears away. His wife looked at him suspiciously. "Yes, I'm going to give you a magic show"