I know where I belong

AU where two people running away meet ;) Happy belated new year!! <3
________________

Ryuji never liked his home life.
After his mother moved away and left him with his abusive father he couldn't take it anymore. Every time Ryuji came home and smelled alcohol in the air he immediately became terrified. Even today, he's still scared of the smell. He couldn't handle the pain of his father's fists. How much it hurt to have a bottle shatter against his arms and have the shards dig into his skin like it was nothing but paper. So one day, Ryuji carelessly shoved two pairs of clothing and 2 water bottles into his bookbag and snuck out the window. All while uncontrollably sobbing and mumbling to himself. 

I'm sorry I'm such a bad son.
I'm sorry I'm so effin' stupid.
I'm sorry.

Ryuji climbed over their fence and started to run away. The bruises over his entire body are screaming at him to stop, but he won't. He never wants to see his father again. He can't take it anymore. 
He slept under a tree in secluded areas during the run. He saw pretty sights on his way to... Nowhere. 

The beautiful sunset was something that always comforted him. The orange that bled into a dark blue. Especially now, when he's walking along a deserted road with no destination in mind. The sunset comforted him, it reminded him of the soft eyes his mother once had when they were a happy, functional family.
Ryuji sighed and ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair. He doesn't have any water and it's hot as hell here. No one is around, and none of the very few cars pulled over to help.

Except for this black mini-van that slowly pulled to the side and honked its horn. 
"What...?" Ryuji said to himself before he ran up to the car and tapped the black tinted window. It was too opaque to see through.
... So when a teenage boy around his age with messy, curly black hair appeared behind the wheel he was shocked. 
"Hello." The boy smiled at him. "Need a ride?" He said in a usually smooth voice. 

Ryuji was, of course, taught stranger danger as a kid. So he scowled and said, "Who are you?" 
The boy made a quiet laugh and with a simple click from the inside, the door was unlocked. 
"Akira Kurusu. 16. I just got my license and I'm just driving to wherever the road takes me, I won't kidnap you or anything." He said with a tinge of sadness in his voice. Now that Ryuji is truly paying attention, he noticed it. 
"Uh, Ryuji Sakamoto. I'm 16 too." He opened the door and got inside. Ryuji took off his book bag and put it by his feet. Akira smiled and started to get the car back on the road again.
"So where are you heading to?" Akira asked, eyes still on the road.

"... Nowhere, really." Ryuji stared at the moving blur of the scenery outside the window. "Ran away from my dad. I don't really know where to go." He sighed. 
"Me too." Akira smiled mostly to himself. "I ran away from home too, I mean. My parents are unbearable." He scoffed. 
Ryuji looked at the raven and patted his shoulder with a grin.

"Want to run away together?" He asked.

__________________________

It was the best decision of his life. 

Ryuji and Akira traveled all over the city and even explored other cities together. 
Right now, Ryuji sitting on the front of their car and relaxing after a tiring day of stocking up on food for the next week. Their next stop is Inaba. 
He smiled softly as he stared into to always comforting sunset, getting lost in the wonderful colors.

The blonde didn't notice when Akira sat next to him until he spoke, "It's pretty, right?"

But Akira wasn't looking at the sunset at all.

Ryuji nodded and made eye contact with the raven. "Yeah." He almost whispered. "It just has this.. Comfortin' feel to it y'know? The colors look so amazing It's kinda hard to think this is real."

Akira sighed and pulled his knees to his chest.
"Do you want it to be real?"

"Of course I do man, what kind of question is that?" Ryuji quietly chuckled.

"I just... Just think this entire thing is fake for a second, okay? I want to tell you something." Akira said with a shaky voice.

Ryuji was concerned for a second. Is something wrong with Akira? He knows they only have eachother, shunned and abandoned by society. Outcasts have to stick together.

Akira nervously covered Ryuji's eyes.
"Ryuji, I don't think you realize how much you've helped me." He started. "Your loud personality always catches me off guard. I'm used to the silent treatment people give me, but you..."
Akira made a shaky sigh.
"Hey man.. Are you-"
He interrupted, "Don't say anything until I'm done, okay?"
Ryuji nodded and Akira continued.

"You really mean a lot to me. I never thought I would be here with you now and..."
Akira huffed, "Please don't hate me."

The raven put his free hand around Ryuji's neck and gently kissed him. Ryuji gasped and tightly gripped his shoulders, mostly surprised of the bold move.
Akira quickly pulled away and removed his hand from Ryuji's eyes. Ryuji saw how flushed he looked, how the sunset lit every part of his face in the most perfect way... Nothing ever felt so real. So right.

"Akira..." Ryuji couldn't find the words he wanted to say. So instead of talking he pulled Akira in by the collar and kissed him again. He kissed him until the sun hid behind the mountains and the air turned cold, prickling against their skin and urging them to press together for warmth.

It's just them out there. Exploring, wandering for a place to fit in. A place to belong. Then Ryuji realized as he pulled away from Akira's lips, his face looking like he's experiencing absolute bliss.

Ryuji took a moment to breath and started, "My place is next to you man."
"I love you."