the red mark.

The year was 2055, and the Earth had been already overpopulated for 5 years. Probably, there were the hardest years in the history of mankind. The middle of the century was designated as the period of rethinking the value of human life. Political leaders all over the world discussed the urgent problem, and the destiny of the humanity lay in their hands. The final solution had been challenging for everyone. Seemingly 30 years before lots of people had struggled for the equality and for saving each person's life, but one day everything had been changed.

11:23. It was a typical gloomy morning in Louisiana, when Nick woke up in a cold sweat.

«Today is that day,» he thought firstly.

The guy went to the kitchen, got his cup of coffee and turned on the TV so as not to feel lonely. The woman on the screen was happily smiling and telling about the importance of that day.

«Remember, that this evening at 6PM, there will appear a special dote on the left hand of each Louisiana citizen. As usual, the green one will mean that you are saved, but the red one will mean you have to live only for 3 days».

Nick got goosebumps.

17:55. Nick opened his laptop to make a video call with Florence, his best friend and maybe the only woman he loved in his life.
«Are you nervous?» asked the pink-haired girl.
«Kinda,» answered the guy trying to hide his fear.
«That's the time,» said Florence.
Nick looked down at his hand. He just noticed a green mark, when heard her voice.
«I have the red one».

23:44. Nick was sitting at the computer with puffy red eyes. There was only one question on the black screen, «Do you confirm handing over your life to Florence Jones?».
After spending long hours, he finally made a decision. The guy took a deep breath and clicked «yes».