Everything Changes

Chapter 1

I ran as fast as the wolf form I chose could. A cheetah would have been faster, but the wolf was more sure-footed, and would cover more ground than if the cheetah was to fall. My ears twitched backwards to hear the thundering footsteps of those behind me. They thought they were quiet, and they really were, but I had morphed my ears so that I could hear more acutely than even a wolf naturally could. My strength was unfailing, but even a she-shifter couldn’t run forever. Dodging the trees at this fast pace in the unrelenting darkness was taking its toll on my mind. My body could run on and on forever, but my mind was becoming foggy and sluggish and each shift was becoming harder and slower. I had been running for a week straight, and my mind was so tired. The adrenaline pumping through my veins was the only thing keeping me going, but even that was fading.

What do I do now?  I asked the wolf in my head. The one that held all the wisdom of all the wolves there ever were. I’m too tired to go on. The words were slow coming out. I was losing my adrenaline boost. My mind was going into a drowsy haze. Keep going, came the feminine sounding wolf spirit. You’re almost to safety. Veer left. I did so, a newfound purpose angling my steps, and noticed that the trees were starting to thin out. It made me nervous, because I made an easy target when out in the open. Are you sure?  I asked her, becoming jittery from the lack of cover. Always, was her confident reply.  I noticed an unfamiliar scent in the air. It was musky, and woodsy, yet unlike the smell of the woods around me. It smelt almost human, but not quite. I broke through the line of trees into a clearing. I kept running, allowing the wolf to guide my every movement. The footsteps behind me stopped at the edge of the woods, though they seemed reluctant, and I heard some vulgar curse words from several different voices, all male.

Why have they stopped? I asked the wolf, confused. You have crossed into territory that does not belong to them, and they will be attacked without hesitation if they step over the boundaries. I ran until I came to the top of a hill, and then looked down. Whoa. I thought to myself. Indeed, the wolf agreed. There was a large town right in the middle of the dense forest. It was impressive. The size alone made me squirm. Keep going, the wolf ordered. My feet immediately moved towards the cluster of buildings in the center of the large clearing.

Where are we? I wanted to know. We are somewhere safe, where we will not be hunted with tranquilizer darts. I kept going until I reached the houses. They seemed unusually tall to my shorter wolf form. The wolf guided me until I came to a much larger house than the others, easily four stories, maybe more. Here? I asked, mentally exhausted. Yes, walk onto the porch and make yourself known. Ok. I walked up the steps and stood up on my hind legs so that I could reach the doorbell. I pushed on it with my wet snout, and heard the piercing ringing noise it made before falling once again onto all four legs. I heard no movement within, so I tipped my head back towards the sky and howled into the stars. I howled long and loud, hoping to wake someone up who would help me. I heard shuffling on the second or third floor, so I rang the doorbell once more and was rewarded with the sound of footsteps. My legs collapsed beneath me, and my eyelids drooped closed as I thudded against the ground.

Good girl, we’re safe now. Sleep, you deserve rest. The wolf praised me, but I was only half listening. I heard the door scrape open, then shouts and more sets of footsteps. Something, a hand I realized, touched the fur on my neck, and I tensed on reflex, ready to defend myself, but the wolf corrected me. No, let them be. They will help you. Sleep. My body instantly relaxed, and I fell asleep, too tired to go on.