Prologue

Melancholy Poppies:
Prologue

That day was terrifying, but I know that my mother's cells would've exploded if I had done nothing

However, guilt still clouded my mind. My little brother, then a bit older, somewhat understood the reason of her death, yet I felt he'd never forgive me for what I did. And frankly, I wasn't sure if I'd ever forgive myself.

I still remembered her pleas of despair, reaching for her neck as Muzan Kibutsuji's curse reigned down on her, suffocating her silently with pure intimidation and brawn. I hated him with every cell in my body. He was the man who brutally ended my mother's mortal life, yet I was the one who ended it all.

Furthermore, that man deserves to suffer, to pay for his crimes. He's done too much, crossed too many lines. He's created monsters and destroyed families.

I still often beat myself up over the fact that maybe I too should've reincarnated myself as one of those creatures. Maybe then I could feel the warmth of my mother's embrace once again.

Now that embrace is gone forever, except when I'm with him.

Tanjiro Kamado.

His family was also targeted and tortured by Kibutsuji. It was the same day, the same time, maybe even the same second that our lives crumbled before our feet, all because of the man who called himself their leader.

Kamado and I had been very close for most of our lives. With my family and I living at the bottom of the mountain he thrived on, we automatically befriended each other. With no one else around, there wasn't much else to do.

I'd bring Tanjiro poppy flowers from my garden, and he'd take them with his iconic smile. His kitchen table was always decorated with them. Tanjiro often mentioned how they smelled happy and sweet. He said their scent reminded him of the joy that I brought him.

To this day, I still recognize those bloodcurdling screams I heard from atop that mountain as they mixed with my own in some frightening harmony of terror. He lost everyone except his sister, Nezuko.

On my end, my brother was the only one spared. Though, he died only a day later from tuberculosis.

After that incident occurred, I began to see Kamado less and less, and those poppies started to wither and slouch, looking ever so melancholy.

Even still, when I did see him more often, I noticed Kamado had changed ever since that day, and honestly, so had I. He smiled more, masking his pain and emotions even more skillfully than before.

I was worried for him, worried that maybe one day all he'd ever do is smile.

~✍️♥️🗡

Prologue:
end
word count: 452