02. Shadow Kiss

Even by the end of the day, the events that occurred with Scott would not get out of Natalia's head. They kept repeating, over and over, until it finally drove her insane. She had to go to the hospital and meet him, though. Every time she would try to conjure up any thoughts of her past, nothing came up. The unknown frightened her.

It only took around five minutes to reach the hospital, and by that time it was full of patients. How could so many patients be here if the town is so small? Maybe it wasn't as small as Natalia thought.

"I'm surprised you beat me here." She spun on her heel at the sudden voice, not relaxing any when she saw it was Scott. A brunette girl was with him this time, hiding behind his shoulder. He whispered something to her, and Natalia could hear every word he said. She was amazed because she never remembered having perfect hearing. "She can't hurt you, Kira. It's okay." How could I hurt anyone? She wondered to herself. She was just a simple girl.

Scott and Kira silently led Natalia through the crowd of doctors. She wondered what they were all frantic about, but the curiosity faded when someone caught her hand. A patient held her, trying to climb towards her from his stretcher. "Help me," he pleaded, eyes wide.
Natalia's mouth dropped open as she struggled for words. "I...I'm sorry," she muttered, but the patient was persistent.

"I know what you are, yet you won't help me?" he said. Natalia pulled away, trying to find Scott or the brunette, but not having any luck. Casting a quick glance back at the patient, she jumped at the disturbing sight. His eyes are glowing. She wasn't hallucinating--the man's eyes were actually glowing a faint blue color.

What was wrong with this town?

"Natalia!" The sound of her name being called sent relief in her so hard that her shoulders sagged when she saw Scott. He was next to a door, outside the crowd of doctors. "What happened?" he asked, skeptical.

Natalia scratched her head. What happened? She didn't really even know herself. "A patient asked for my help...but he was wheeled away by doctors," she said, training her eyes on the floor. She wanted to help the man, but she just didn't know how.

Glancing up, she saw Scott slightly shake his head in the direction of the patient. Then, he pushed the door open.

It was just a normal hospital room, and an older woman was standing in the corner, tending to the flowers that sat on the windowsill. "Hello Scott," she said, not looking towards the group. "How was school?"

"Uh, mom, this is--"

"The girl you were talking about?" Curiosity resonated through her voice, and she finally turned around. A lock of curly hair came untucked from her bun as she analyzed the new girl. Slowly, Scott's mother smiled. "I'm Melissa," she said. "Nice to meet you."

"I'm Natalia."

The burning sensation in her throat started to happen again. She rubbed it with her hand gently, but it was as if nothing could cure her thirst. The whole room started to look like it was tinted red, and the luscious color was all she could think about in the moment.

"Please lay down, Natalia," Melissa said. She patted the covers on the bed, encouraging the teenager to do as she said. It worked; Natalia placed her hands by her sides and adjusted her head on the pillow, making herself comfy. "We are going to tap into your subconscious to free your memories. Just relax."

"How are you going to--"

"Just relax."

Melissa sprinkled a purple-hued powder on the girl's face. It was refined dandelion, a powerful substance used in witchcraft. Melissa had gotten some from the town veterinarian and druid, Deaton. But Natalia knew nothing of it. She took one breath of the powder and closed her eyes.