11. A Red World

here you go little readers 

love y'all!!!! vote and comment what you think :))

-kati

***

Kohl lead Natalia through the cave corridors silently.

They finally came upon room 35, and Kohl ushered the girl inside. He leaned against the closed door, sighing. "That was intense," he said. "I didn't know what the Alpha was going to do to you!" He started to chuckle when Natalia just gave him a confused look. She wasn't expecting his fun and light attitude. "Oh, you want something to eat? We can get something from the feeding hall-"

"I'm fine, thank you," Natalia said. Kohl just nodded and watched as she sat on the stiff bed. The blonde gestured around the dimly lit room. "So...this is what you do all day? Serve Kismet's every need?"

"Of course not," Kohl snapped.

"Well...? Enlighten me. What do you do all day in a pack?"

Kohl raised an eyebrow. "You sure are curious for a newbie. Usually all newborns care about is blood." He waved a hand, sitting across from her on the bed. Natalia could see the age and experience behind his brilliant green eyes as he neared. "Anyway, back to your question. Kismet's pack is one of the strongest and oldest there are, so we are kind of...traditional. Some vampires train to become Warriors, like me, and get the chance to serve the great Alpha. Some learn about our species' history and become Nobles. Most of the Nobles are Kismet's best friends. Then there are the Artists-who are really annoying by the way-and the Gatherers, who collect our blood supply. Finally, the Weavers take care of our daily needs." He sighed. "You sure you're not bored yet, newbie?"

"No," the blonde said, chuckling. "And my name is Natalia."

"Yeah, whatever Natty. Your still newbie to me." Kohl suddenly stood up, strutting a hand out. Natalia took it, following the vampire. "I'm going to show you what Kismet's pack is really like."

***

Natalia was surprised at how natural it felt to be around so many vampires as she walked into the grand hall with Kohl. She was eased by his behavior as they walked through the hall; he was like a kid in a candy shop, stopping by to say hello to everyone.

"Hey, I never got the chance to ask, how old are you?" Natalia asked.

Kohl didn't even glance back at her. "I'm 507 years and still counting." She was surprised, but knew she shouldn't be. The way he talked, the way he carried himself...it was from a different time.

"Gareth!" Kohl called. A vampire spun around, flashing a brilliant smile at his friend.

"Kohl! Who's your friend?" Gareth asked. His eyes landed on the blonde, and she all of a sudden felt self-conscious about what she was wearing. She tugged at her shorts.

"This is Natalia," Kohl said. "She's new. Well, for today."

Gareth seemed to know what he meant, and Natalia was grateful that Kohl didn't mention anything about her being the Ekham. She knew that it might cause trouble with some people if she didn't immediately side with Kismet.

"Nice to meet you, Natalia," Gareth said, taking her free hand and giving it a small kiss.

"I'm guessing he's a Noble?" Natalia chuckled, looking over to Kohl.

He grinned. "You guessed correctly. Now come, let's go look at the most fascinating place in this cave."

***