Chapter Three

"Leave me alone" I said wrapping my comforter around until I was in a burrito. It was freezing in the house today and I didn't want to get up out of my warm bed.

"Did you forget what today is?" Vic asked. I'm still in that sort of transition stage from calling him Vic and dad.

"What's today?" I asked even though it came out muffled by my face being buried in my pillow.

"It's your birthday," he said.

"Wait can you help me find something?" I asked sitting up.

"What are you looking for?" He asked.

"I'm looking for the fuck I give" I said falling back on my bed. I didn't care for my birthday. Especially since mom wasn't here. Every year we'd save up enough to go to Disney land for the entire day just her and I. After my twelfth birthday I never went back. Vic tried to take me, but it didn't feel the same without her. Especially when we were on the tower of terror and she'd hold me. I really miss her and everything we did together.

"Come on. I made you a really good breakfast" he said. I shook my head and snuggled with my penguin. It still didn't smell like mom which made me want to cry. No matter how many times I sprayed it with her perfume it always seemed to fade just like she did.

"Dad, I really want to be alone today. I'm not up for the whole happy birthday explosion" I said. He sighed and nodded.

"Alright, but you still have to eat do come down when you're hungry" he said and kissed my forehead. As soon as my door closed I closed my eyes. I tried to remember every birthday I had with mom. Each memory made me smile.

"Look! Goofy!" I yelled pulling mom along. She laughed as I kept pulling. As soon as I got to him he looked down at me.

"Hi. You're my favorite" I said. He hugged me and mom got a picture. We went to downtown Disney and saw Jasmine . Mom pulled me over to her.

"Hello beautiful," she said to me. I shyly smiled at her.

"Can we get a picture? It's her birthday" mom said.

"Of course. You know what you need? A tiara. Every girl is a princess on their birthday" she said putting one on my head. She kissed my cheek before letting me and mom go to another ride. She was right. Every girl is a princess on their birthday.

I let a tear slip at the memory. That was my eleventh birthday. Mom never made it to my twelfth. After that every birthday didn't feel the same. Dad would try and go all out, but it wasn't the same as being with mom. When we did go to Disney I was hoping it'd be just us, but he brought his girlfriend. I was basically a third wheel. Every ride we went on I had to go by myself because she wanted to be with dad. It made me feel like I was invisible. Ever since I haven't like Danielle. I try to avoid her mostly, but she doesn't give up on trying to be a mother figure. She'll never be my mom.

Vic's POV

"Hey, where's the birthday girl?" Jaime asked.

"She said she wanted to be alone. It's hard for her today" I said sitting down.

"How about we go out with her?" Danielle suggested. I was going to say something when Kenny walked in. She kept her head down as she walked towards the fridge. I know it's hard for her today, but maybe my surprise for her will cheer her up.

"Happy birthday Kennedy," Danielle said. Kenny rolled her eyes before leaving the kitchen with two toaster waffles. I sighed as she walked off.

"She doesn't like to be called by her full name," Mike said.

"How come?" Danielle asked.

"She never has. When Sam started calling her Kenny everyone started calling her that" I said. Kenny came back dressed in some shorts, and a black muscle tank with her red vans.