iii. 「 apology 」

❝ I'm sure it's because we're trying a little too hard...❞

Banri was restless. Itaru noticed it. Even as they defeated enemies and entered several dungeons, he noticed Banri wasn't keeping up at all.

"Hey, to your left."

"Ah!" Banri snapped out of his reverie and caught up immediately, killing the enemy Itaru pointed out. 

After completing the dungeon. Itaru paused the game, giving Banri a moment to rest his racing mind.

"You're a little out of your game today, Banri. Something wrong?" He asked with a raised brow.

Banri frowned. "It sounds a bit stupid."

"The more reason to share." Itaru gave him a small, reassuring smile. 

Banri hesitated, staring listlessly at the controller in his hands.

"Our school festival's comin' up." Banri started.

Itaru knew where this was going.

"...I was thinkin' of asking Minori to be my date."

Called it.

His heart clenched at the thought of Minori spending an entire day with him. The two of them alone, laughing and having fun amidst the chaotic, yet cheerful atmosphere of his college's school festival.

"...Didn't think you'd wanna get a date in the first place." Itaru teased.

Banri clicked his tongue, "S-She was asked to perform in the festival show. Every year they got this whole romantic performance too. Her friends..."

"...Her friends were setting her up for a date."

"So you want to be her date, then?"

"Yeah." Banri bashfully admitted, averting his gaze to hide the blush blooming on his face. "The thing is... I don't know how to ask her."

Itaru made a sound of acknowledgment, adjusting his position on his seat, "Aren't these things usually a piece of cake for you?"

"Not with her." He snickered, he sounded like a fool to himself as he stared down at the controller on his hands. "The things she says...always gets to me. It's like everything she does matters all the time."

Banri had his life on easy mode. He had the talent, the intelligence, the looks. He even mentioned before that wooing girls wasn't ever a problem for him, he even had a fair share of them trying to give him chocolates every valentine's day.

(Banri never really accepted them though. He knew that once he did, those girls would be expecting something from him during White day. He didn't want to keep them hoping for anything.

It was that aspect of Banri that also made him a good boy. Itaru cheered him on for that.)

Itaru could already see how important Minori is to him.

This was Banri he was dealing with. He was a delinquent, a boy who didn't restrict himself to the rules of society. The boy who did anything to challenge himself, whether it was beyond the law. The boy who stopped at nothing to win or get what he wanted. The boy who didn't need to try too hard in order to get a rank as one of the top students in his high-school or his college.