17.1: What he found at Priviturn Lake

Note: Above drawing, Cypur's Faud by liber_spiritus (Thank you so much!)

============

The next morning, Cypur had woke first, so he quietly dressed. Just as he was fixing his hair using the little mirror in the shower, a banging sound came from downstairs. He arched his brow at himself in the mirror and continued on messing with the various directions that his hair was going. It was such a frizz this morning. Maybe it was the shampoo.

BANG! CRASH!

Startled, he yanked a snarl too hard a tuft of hair tangled in his fingers. "Bastard," he muttered. What was going on downstairs? He still hadn't finished taming his hair and now he felt stubborn to continue when the bathroom door swung open.

"Cypur, oh, you Narsy!" She rolled her eyes.

He scowled at her in the mirror. "Well, good morning to you, too." He went back to fixing his hair, using water to wet it down, but some pieces were just going to misbehave today it seemed.

"Are you going to get breakfast for us? And it's a riot," she said. She flicked her hand at him. "Yeah, yeah, good noisy morning." She let out a loud yawn and grunted, stretching her arms. "Is someone doing steppenchellia downstairs?"

Steppenchellia wasn't that noisy. He could only think that someone must be too drunk, falling through things. Maybe it was better they stayed up here and waited it out. But then the noise came closer.

CRASH! CLUNK!

Footsteps thundered up the stairs. "There it goes! Get it!" a male called.

Wescherlie transformed, cawing an alarm.

Cypur quickly put his cape over his hair, scowling as it messed up his hard work. He picked up Wescherlie and set her on his shoulder. Something began frantically scratching against their door. A high-pitched squeal came. The air rippled with magick.

He jumped out of the way as a streak of golden magick blasted through the door. Wood turned black, falling away. As large as a medium-sized dog, an indigo-scaled lizard stood on stumpy legs with a basket of bread floating above it's head. Its eyes crossed as it squealed, thundering into the room.

A black net appeared over it, snatching it up from the floor. Wind whipped around them. Cypur lost his balance and his cape fell off.

"Gold!" several voices said at once.

"Run!" Wescherlie called. Cypur didn't even have time to scold her for talking. Three Sorcerer males wearing the bounty hunter capes came hurling in. The lizard had vanished from their net and was now reeling up on its hind legs. Golden magick shimmered across its scales. Cypur couldn't leave through the door, so he made for the balcony.

Leaning over the side, he debated to jump.

Wescherlie's talons gripped his shoulder. "I can feel more coming!"

"Stop talking!" Cypur warned.

"It's our lucky day, citizens," came a female's voice. Cypur's heart thumped. He recognized that voice. He turned slowly, meeting the eyes of the lizard and the white-haired Sorcerer female that emerged in the hallway. He'd seen her on the screen—the only bounty hunter with public fame, evading the law.

"Chrisma fèi Kaliophenous," he whispered.

"Sounds like a spell," Wescherlie whispered back with a snicker.

But Cypur didn't laugh. Chrisma was a Professor ranked Sorcerer, but rumors had it she was stronger than she let on. It wasn't someone he could fight. Although, Cypur couldn't fight anyone above Apprentice level unless it was combat. Even then, he never really tried to learn to fight. He would rather have verbal duels.