32: They talked the whole night through.

Cypur's surprise didn't end there. Inside the cabin were his parents sitting on chairs by a fireplace.

"I'm dreaming?" was the first thing that slipped out of his mouth. He couldn't believe it. His father's and mother's hair had no magick highlights like they normally did. Both his parents set their cups down at the same time. Thereanbold hobbled to the kitchen as the kettle whistled. On his way he winked at Cypur's father.

"Cypur."

Cypur stiffened at the sound of that scolding voice. What was he expecting? Some good-old family reunion? He had hurt the family name to the point of no return.

Don't fall into that! He was outside of Sorcerer society now. Clenching his fists, he looked his father in the eye. His father had his hand raised, ready to slap him no doubt.

"Dad, listen," Cypur said, and his father's hand paused, "I didn't kill anyone. I would never do that. It was Rachelle. I was only trying to save the Rauvuren. You can look at my memory. I bare it before you." He stood firm and beside him came his Faud. "And I'm not broken. I never was. This is my Faud." 

He saw the arms coming. They were going to punish him! Cypur began to speak fast. "And I've made a terrible mistake. I know you won't understand, but I need to go find her," He raised his voice, "I need to find Wescherlie because she's my frie—"

His father's arms came around one side and his mother's the other. Cypur stood stiff. Out of the corner of his eye Thereanbold sat at a table, enticing Cypur's Faud over with a cookie.

"Cypur," his mother said, "Barondium came by and told us everything. Showed us proof of you and the Rauvuren."

Arius. Cypur sucked up his tears. He really kept his word.

"We came here for help." His father pulled away. "None of us were expecting you to break out of jail and appear in Mevinmauderie though, did we, darling?"

"We felt magick unlike any. I knew it was you and," his mother turned her gaze to Cypur's Faud, "but I didn't expect, well, I don't really know what we can do. I've always known what to do."

They were in the process of coming out of Sorcerer society. Cypur had been there. He knew what it was like. Scary to the denounce the things you believed in so firmly, you would have stood by them even if it cost you an arm and a leg.

His father sat back in the chair. "And Charmteller has escaped his own prison. He's looking for you. I believe, now that you've unlocked his heritage, to teach you the correct way of using it."

"We've always known. But why tell, until it was ready?" His mother kept her eyes on Cypur's Faud as if weary it might come after her. "Why did it have to be a lizard?" she whispered.

"I take that as an insult, Aubrinny," Thereanbold said.

She shook her head. "Oh, I didn't mean—"

"Lighten up," Thereanbold said with a laugh, "Cypur, don't just stand there. Come on over. You want some breakfast? We've talked the whole night through, so good morning to you. Good morning, good morning to you!"

"And you," Aubrinny said to her husband, "Benedict."

"And you." Benedict nodded with a smile.

Cypur had to pinch himself to his senses. He'd never seen his parents so pleasantly calm. Still uncertain of what this all meant for him and Wescherlie, he sat down at the table. Thereanbold served him scrambled eggs and bacon with a glass of orange juice—a staple breakfast.

Over the meal, Thereanbold told him they were on the outskirts of Fegglehorn and that he had been baking cookies when Cypur's parents turned up yesterday morning.