Patient

I was six hours into the day when my boss' pager went off. I clicked the button to turn it off and dashed away from the paperwork I was working on to get my boss and go to the roof. It was a care flight patient. I pulled the cover scrubs on. "Patient details?" My boss asked practically yelling because of the loud helicopter blades.

   "Male age 20. Came from 3 hours away but he's stable." The paramedic explained getting the patient out on the stretcher.

   "Cause?" I asked taking my place on the other side of the stretcher behind my boss.

    "Soul deficiency. He's had it his whole life." We began to wheel him inside to the trauma rooms for treatment.  

   Soul deficiency? Where have I heard those words before. We don't get many people like this here so not at the job.

   I looked down at the patient. He was a skeleton like me. Glitches covered his right eye. Something in my soul twinged. A memory? I've never seen this person before, right? I don't know a lot of people. Maybe this is from... before?

   I don't remember anything from before age nine. Pa said I was adopted and that my biological parents had been abusive. I had the scars to prove it all over my body. Something about that story never clicked though.

   "Faris get the needle."

   I snapped out of my thoughts and went to do just that. "Sorry. I'm a bit out of it today." I responded to my boss. He shook his head and just went about this work. 

   "Patient's name is Geno Queen. His mother, uncle, and younger brother have been contacted." My coworker went on.

   "Thank you. This should do it. He's stable for now." My boss said quietly

   I sighed softly. Who is this man to me..? Why does he look so darn familiar?