[ 09. ]

Todoroki regretted everything that had just transpired. He cleaned up the kitchen, carefully picking up the pieces of the plate she had dropped on the ground. How was he going to fix this? She was terrified of him.

They were getting so close to their own form of normalcy. He didn't hear anything from the bedroom. He was living in a prison of his own feelings, which he couldn't articulate, and the fear of becoming his father.

Todoroki moves toward the bedroom door. He didn't knock, he put his back against it. Sliding down to the floor, he rested his hand on the cold wood. Think of something. Something that would make up for what just happened.

Nothing came to his mind though.

"Saito?" He asked, his voice quiet against the still air. There wasn't a response.

"I am truly sorry," His voice wavered, moving his arms so they could hang over his pulled up knees. "I— I've never been great with knowing how I feel and speaking with others about it."

There was no response, but he kept talking into the great emptiness of the living room.

"I did this to protect my sister. I don't know how to navigate this road we've both been forced on."

He put his head up against the door, looking up at the ceiling.

"I promised myself I wouldn't lose it and that I wouldn't make you feel this way," Todoroki tried for hide the emotional quivers in his voice. "But I failed."

On the other side of the door, Asami listened. Her body was resting against the door, too. He was finally speaking to her, even if she didn't want to hear it. He had all of these pent of feelings that he had no way of releasing. All of the stress.

He had a choice— and he chose to protect his family. His sister.

She had her knees pulled up to her chest, staring at the ceiling, the water works beginning to slow down. She wasn't going to say anything. Maybe if he spoke, his walls would finally splinter a little.

"I've been working on control for years. My emotional weakness is my biggest fault. It always has been," he continued. "I thought avoiding you would prevent this from happening."

There was silence now on both ends. Asami pushed her hair back. She was still angry with him, but she did admit, she lost it too. Her quirk just wasn't as powerful as his was. She opened her mouth, feeling the words on the tip of her tongue.

"We can't avoid this forever," she said quietly. He lifted his head from the door, turning toward it. She was listening the whole time.

"I did this because— we had no money. My father he— he's been struggling ever since my mother died."

"I saw your family picture. I'm sorry, Saito."

There was another silence.

"It's okay," It was Asami's voice that trembled. "We need to work on how you handle your emotions, Todoroki."

A smile crept up on his face.

"You can't throw flames at me every time I tell you I hate you," She laughed through her tears, wiping her face. Her hands shook as they touched her mouth, trying to get images of her mother out of her head.