Prologue

Soulmates are a big deal. Everyone has one, but it was hard to find yours since you only have one. Some people find their soulmate young and live happily ever after, others spend their whole lives looking for their soulmate and die alone, a few date around and ignore the fact they have a soulmate, but most let fate take its course and bring them and their soulmates together.

How do you tell if someone is your soulmate? Every person on earth is born with a uniquely shaped mark on the palm of one hand, while your soulmate's mark is on the hand opposite yours. When you hold hands with your soulmate, and your two of a kind marks touch, you feel a sensation of indescribable ecstasy that can only be generated by the touching of soulmate's marks.

Police, along with your identity, record the shape of your mark. If the police stumble upon a match, your soulmate has had an emergency, your soulmate wants to meet you, or any other reason they would need your info, a person's mark is the most reliable source since only two people have the same one.

I'm Ry-Lynn Pearler, I'm 17, and no, I haven't found my soulmate; I'm one of the people who lets fate bring us together while I sit back and enjoy my life. I always thought that by doing that, I'd eventually get my own happily ever after, but, not all dreams come true. I discovered this was the painful truth when I received a call from the police about my soulmate. A man bearing a mark identical to mine had gotten in a fatal car wreck. His name was Blake King, he was 19, and his death meant I would never have a soulmate.

It's possible to find love with someone who isn't your soulmate, but it's not true love and you'll always have the lingering feeling that some piece of your heart is missing, like you're incomplete. I was now going to have to learn to live with that sorrowful feeling. Of course, I was crushed, but what I thought was the end of the world was actually the beginning of the greatest story of my life.