Chapter 4 Doom and Gloom

Chapter 4

It's been two weeks since what I am now classifying as "the incident." My mom came over a week after in order to see what the hell caused her daughter's emotional breakdown.

My mom has never really been a dependable parental figure since she got pregnant with me so young. My father is the complete opposite, though. I've never seen the man in anything but a suit and I could count the amount of times I've seen him smile.

Therefore, in all honesty, neither were well equipped for taking care of a child. They both wanted me to hurry up and be an adult but for different reasons. My mom treated me as a teenager for most of my life because she desperately wanted another girlfriend to appease her very young soul. My dad always treated me like an adult so I could act like the perfect lady in front of his co-workers and expected way too much of me at a very young age.

So my mom actually flying across the country to see to my needs is a big deal. As in this is the first time she acted like a responsible mother. The fact that she cared to travel across the globe was all I needed so I didn't let her stay long. I simply blamed my dramatic performance on getting in a fight with my boyfriend while being completely wasted which isn't too far from the truth. The only part that was left out was the fact that I committed bodily harm to myself and that my boyfriend was a sociopath. Minor details she could live without knowing.

I was happy she didn't complain that she came over here for no reason making me feel like she may have actually missed me. I tried my best to maintain my relationship with my mother the way she preferred it to be, as best friends, but sometimes it was difficult when I had to be the one to think like a reasonable adult. We spent the week shopping and going out to dinner in Manhattan.

My step-dad, Vladamir, was a sweetheart as always with eyes only for my mother. They were an interesting pair to say the least.

They left a couple of days ago to go back to their summer cottage in France. The two loved to travel and didn't stay in one place for too long. To say my dad was surprised by their visit would be an understatement. I can't remember the last time my parents were in the same room. He made sure to be as scarce as possible during their visit which wasn't really any different than his usual behavior. It made me feel a bit better though since I wouldn't have to try and make conversation in the awkward pauses that happened between the three.

These two weeks I've been trying my best to see the gang as little as possible. I told the girls, who then told Tyler, that my mom was visiting so I had to be on my best behavior so she didn't notice anything suspicious. Then after she left I told Danny that I had a fever and couldn't hang out for another couple of days.

I didn't want to confront Tyler because I had no idea how that conversation would go. We had a couple brief text conversations where I explained why I would be M.I.A. for a bit but that was it. I wasn't sure how to behave around him after what happened. Would he brush it off and act as usual? Or continue to be in a pissy mood around me? He seemed to act normal in our texts though. When I told him I was sick and couldn't go out he said, "Yeah, don't come. No one wants to see you all snotty and gross." My boyfriend, ladies and gentlemen.

I lay lazily in my bed as these thoughts ran through my head for what had to be the billionth time. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was basking in the sunlight that was coming from the window while snuggling deeper into my pillow.

"So you think you can stop me and spit in my eye.

So you think you can love me and leave me to die!

Oh baby. Can't do this to me baby.

Just gotta get out, just gotta get right out of here."

My head perked up at the sound of my phone's ringtone and shuffled around to get to my nightstand in time. I reached my hand out and quickly grabbed the phone and answered it without checking the caller id. I figured it would be one of the girls.