Chapter One

Identity is a complex idea. 

A person can go through their entire life thinking they know exactly who they are. Others think they know who they are but really, they're lost. Then, you have those lonely souls who have no idea who they are, and they accept it. I fall into one of those groups, I just haven't figured out which one. 

My fingers softly glide over the soft stems of wheat. The forest has always been my favorite place and with every adventure, I have found my place, my safe place. Its quite serine here, far from the chaos of village life. My mother always tells me its not safe to wonder, but I just cant help myself. My father tells me I'm "a curious child". I laugh to myself, aren't we all? A small frog jumps from the tall wheat right in front of me. I reach my hand out to coax in towards me. The tiny frog looks at my hand, then turns around and hops off my palm. I smile and gaze at the breathtaking scene ahead of me.

Just past the tree line, a mountain sits proudly in the distance. I've always been drawn to natures wonders and now as I sit in this clearing, I have the urge to throw everything away and head for the beautiful landmark. But like every time this thought runs through my head, I remember my parents and my best friend, Freya. I shake my head and pick a small flower from the ground. I should head back now, the sun shall be setting soon; mother and father are probably worried. I stand and take one last glance at the mountain. I blow a small kiss its way and leave.

I lift the bottom of my olive-green dress as I walk so I dont ruin it; mother just washed it this morning. Its one of my favorite dresses. The sleeves are fitted from my shoulders down to my elbows and from there they flare out. The bust is fitted down to my waist and falls to the ground like water. I have a brown cloth wrapped around my waist from the back to the front. We may be peasants, but that means nothing to my mother, she says a beautiful girl, no matter what status, shall be showered with the most beautiful garments. Since I was a little girl, mother has made every single dress I have ever worn. Thats just one of her many talents. The thought of my mother makes me smile widely and I subconsciously grab a strand of my long multicolored hair that falls to my waist, and I start twisting it around my first and middle finger.

After walking for about twenty minutes, I finally see the break in the forest that leads to my village. Its a small village with just about 300 people. I walk down the path of the village confidently and smile at some of the other villagers. A few small children run past me and throw a few "sorry ma'ams" my way. Finally, I make it to my home which is at the far end of the village. My father is outside our cruck with an ax in one hand, and a log in the other. He must be gathering wood so mother can cook. I walk over so I can greet him.

"Hi dad, cut lots of wood today?" I ask him with a beaming smile.

He returns the smile with a bright grin, "not quite."

I continue inside our small home to see my mother sitting on a chair with new fabric sprawled across her lap, a deep look of concentration on her beautiful face. I assume she went to the castle today.

I sit down on the floor in front of her on my knees and lay my hands on her lap. She glances up from the fabric and smiles at me.

"Sapphire, you're back. I trust you didnt go too far this time. You know its not safe out there in the forest for you to be alone for so long."

"No mother," I say and look away from her gaze, "I just went a little ways down, I just love spending time in the forest, mother, you have no idea how beautiful it can be." I eagerly say.

She gently laughs and grabs my hands.

"I know darling, but you must be cautious. I dont know what I would do if anything ever happened to you." Her smile slips from her face and I give her a sad look.