chapter 3

"Sorry for the wait Steven..just had to settle somethings. I hope i didn't put us too off schedule."

Connie guilty smile was met with a mischievous chuckle as Steven placed her a hand on the top of her head, something he knew would annoy her slightly, a reminder that he was now taller than her, which is saying a lot since she herself is a five-seven stunner; though she was still dwarfed by the six-four Goliath. When he started to ruffle her hair in the affectionate way he did, it took her every fiber in her to not to snuggle into his palm, which is why it was annoying when he did it.

"No problem Nini, I'm not heading back to space anytime soon. We got all the time in two worlds."

Connie blushed a bit at her newest nickname, one that was actually given by Blue diamond as attempt to understand human culture, It stuck within the crystal gems and Beach city. Though it always had a certain effect on her when Steven called her it. It was then a prying look overcame the young man face.

"So...Ryan...he seems pretty nice. You two had a bit to talk about."

Connie arched an eyebrow and before a mischievous thought came to her. She sighed exaggeratedly and clasp her hands together.

"Yes, He's such a sweetheart. Attractive too. Never really talked to him much til today."

"Ummm....Well looks like he made an impression on you."

"I guess so, I mean he wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I could give that guy a chance."

"Give that guy....WHAAAAT? HE ASKED YOU OUT?! "

"Yeah..he did more than that, He straight up confessed to me."

Steven was silent for a bit as he comprehend what Connie told him. A small very neutral smile appeared.

"Well, it's not the first time it happened, so what did he say, exactly? Used a cheesy pick up or something."

"Hehe..No..he..It was pretty off putting, actually."

"I don't like the sound of that. He didn't cross any lines did he, cause if he did well..."

Connie saw the look of pure anger that appeared on Steven face. The face that was usually reserved for whenever Kevin was mentioned, prior to their reconciliation a few years ago, with a grab and squeeze of his hand , his anger subsided.

"Hey, I told you he's a sweetheart... That being said no he didn't cross a line..well not a big one...The reason why I was put off a bit...was how earnest and genuine it was. I was flattered and a little happy, honestly. Not every day a guy admits to holding three years worth of affection for you. "

"Sounds a bit schmaltzy, if you ask me."

"Biscuit, You love schmaltz."

"Well, yeah in my media."

Connie looked quizzically at her best friends demeanor. Over the course of the conversation, she has heard his tone become sarcastic, scathing, cold and as of now dismissive and defensive. Steven notice her alerting eyes and turned around away from her to hide his blush, this caught Connie off guard.