The Sanguine Lamia (The Blood Thirsty Vampire)

The orb of light that projected from the sky illuminated everything within its grasp. Autumn air entangled with the fluttery vegetation that hung from branches haggard with age creating a sonnet of rustling clamour. The bitter crunch of gravel beneath my feet soon turned to timbered thuds as I arrived at the bridge. The fluid beast below roared ominously as it crashed against the jagged rocks that encrusted its surface. Many people had succumbed to its depths. Their final burst of air dissipating to the surface. This thought made me smile. Humans, so easily killed.

Glancing down I peered through the gaps in the bridge seeing the blackened beast bubbling with delight, hoping to ensnare some new prey. I felt a sort of kinship between the beast and I, after all we were alike in many ways. Cold, cruel and unforgiving to those who happen to stray our path unintentionally. It's not as if we are premeditated murderers either. We simply kill because it's in our nature to do so. This resemblance was further pondered as I made my way across the bridge into the town of Meadhurst.

The wind ferociously whipped through the bridge passageway causing me to glance towards the encompassing storm that was crawling across the sky. It was going to release its passionate wrath soon which meant I wouldn't be able to be picky about my meal tonight. Humans abhor the rain, hiding from its drizzling fingers. I much prefer to play with them when they can run; the space provided by a house is too limited to appease me.

While I was observing the descending malevolence of nature I noticed her...

She was stood precariously on top of the wooden fencing that surrounds the bridge. I found it ironic how something that was supposed to protect people from plunging to their deaths was now assisting someone in attempting that very thing.

She was gripping onto the suspension cable that keeps the bridge upright and staring intently into the jaws of the beast below. From the angle I was at I could faintly distinguish the features of her petite, elfin face. Her gaze was unwavering, her eyebrows bunched together in concentration and her bottom lip was being systematically chewed on. She seemed to be locked in some sort of internal debate with herself.

Who is she? I shook my head trying to clear the nebulous haze that had over taken my thoughts. Never mind, who she is. She's a meal who's willing to die. Why let a blood bag go to waste? I'm sure the beast wouldn't begrudge me this one meal on a cold autumn night. And by the sickly saccharine smell that choked the air with its enveloping clutch, she is a virgin. Ah, virgin blood, untainted by the plights of man. The devil himself must be smiling down upon me tonight!

I smiled ravenously before making my way over to my next appetiser.

Within the blink of an eye I was by her side as silent as the approach of death. My arrival was unnoticed due to her subsequent focus on her impending arrival in the afterlife were she to take the final step. There was something exceptionally peculiar about this girl...

I was no more than an arms breadth away from her and it felt as if some abnormal force was trying to repel me. Something differed from my traditional internal sensations. It was if the atmosphere around her penalised and cleansed you. I felt like I didn't belong in the same vicinity as her never mind the same world. There was just something so, so pure about her. As if the angels of God themselves formed her aura. An aura uncontaminated by the immoral ways of humanity.

My soulless corpse flinched from the judgemental glare of her surrounding ambience. How could this one miniscule girl have such an effect? I was truly intrigued by her. I now viewed her more as a specimen to be studied than a snack pack.

I cleared my throat conspicuously hoping to acquire her attention.

She was blatantly unaware of my presence as her immediate response was to squeal with shock, causing her footing to waver slightly. Her knuckles turned a pallid white as her grip on the suspension cable intensified. She turned to gape at me obviously surprised to discover she had company.