Part One: Shiori

The Rain Pours, As Life Continues

“Shii…….

                              Chan…..”

               Suga was before me. His fist was clenched and his face wrought with concentration (or pain- it was hard to tell). My mouth dropped open. Silence stretched between us; Suga opened his eyes and gave me a painful look.

               “Suga….” I blinked. “you spoke!” I slowly walked back over. I felt a smile spread across my face. Suga opened his mouth again, but nothing came out.

               When we were younger, Suga ran into the forest to search for his mother. It was raining…. drizzling in the forest.

“You must never go in the forest when it is raining. Not even adults can go. The Kotori Obake will find you. You must never make a deal.” My father’s voice echoed back to me. “If you do, she will find you. Take you. And finally kill you if you remember that promise.” This is exactly what Suga did. Frantically, I ran after him. Sprawled out on the ground was Suga with the Kotori Obake above him. Small and unafraid, I went between him and the vile woman. I made a promise that day, and I had to leave because of it. Suga also made a promise – my safety for his voice. Of course, as fate would have it, I found my way back to him and my Granddaddy’s mansion; I also regained the lost memories that I thought were gone forever.

Suga opened his mouth again, but air only came out. Though we had defeated Kotori Obake, and Suga got his voice back, he still wasn’t used to using it. We all had a little debris left from the incident earlier this evening. Defeated, Suga took out his memos (his main form of communication). His hand scribbled careful letters down the page.

“There’s a lot that I want to talk to you about.” Suga lowered his note pad. I nodded.

“There’s a lot I want to talk to you about too.” I smiled and glanced at the ticking clock. Suga followed my gaze, and lowered his eyes. He scribbled another note on his memo-pad. “Tomorrow.” I nodded in agreement.

“Is it okay if I stay here? For…. a while? I still have all of the paperwork I have to do, and I have to organize the wills and everything else.” I asked, hoping and knowing he’d say yes. Suga smiled, nodded, and beckoned me to follow him up the stairs.

Our footsteps sounded on the creaking stairs. I didn’t notice that he had stopped until I bumped into him. I slammed into his back and he stepped forward a bit to steady himself. He grunted and looked back at me.

“Sorry.” I yawned and rubbed my eyes. Suga turned towards me and handed me a key. Sliding the delicate metal frame into the lock, I opened the door. It’s finally over. All of those poor souls are free now, and I can live as I chose. I glanced back at Suga. He was shifting from foot to foot nervously, focusing intently on the floor-boards. “Goodnight.” Suga looked up, nodded, and turned towards his room down the hall. 

Exhaustion swept over me as I lowered myself on the bed. It wasn’t hard for sleep to takeover. I tugged the sheets over my shoulders and closed my eyes, hoping for a deep-sleep.

….........

               “Comecomecomecomecomecomecomecomecome.” A shrill-like voice rambled over and over. “My sweet….sweet child. Come. Come.” The scream seemed to shake the rain-drops from their heavenly perch. I could feel my pounding feet.

Faster!

Faster!

I have to go faster!

Not fast enough! A twig tangled my running feet; my face met the muddy ground. Rolling to my back, I had just enough time to see many white “beings” flood towards me. Each one calling with a haunting, childish voice; they poked my stomach and tugged at my clothes. Soon their pokes became jabs. The ghostly apparitions tore at my clothes. A chorus of giggles sounded as they chanted,

               “We won’t let you escape. You made a promise!”

“Come! Come! Let us be together!”

…………

            Sweat clung to my body as I bolted from the bed and gripped my head in my hands. The door inched open. Suga entered the room silently. He turned on the lamp by my bed and took out his memo.

               “Is Shii-chan okay?” his face was shadowed in concern. I couldn’t answer. Was I okay? I had just killed an ancient, evil spirit who had tried to murder me in a forest in the dark of night. I just found out about my Granddaddy. I was almost torn apart by the ghosts of children whom had been killed by the Kotori Obake. Was I okay?

               No I was not. But I couldn’t bother Suga with my bad dreams. He had more important things to look after like the museum that was entrusted to him.

               “It’s okay. I’m all better now.” I knew my attempt at a smile was pathetic at this point. Still, I tried anyways. Suga frowned even more. He held up his finger and ran out of my room. What was he doing? He entered again with a pillow, a blanket, and his Glow-stone sword. He rearranged himself on the floor next to me.

               “I…stay…Shii-chan is safe.” He croaked. He sat down and rested propped his sword on his lap.

               “Suga. You don’t have to stay up all night. Honestly. I’m fine.” Suga just shook his head.

           “Thank you.” I whispered after a long silence. That night I got the best rest I have had since my mother’s death.